Roseville flathead

DaveTheBoy

A nice morning (a few days back now) spent catching flatties from my yak around Roseville.

Got to the water around 7:15am - slow start produced no fish for the first hour or two - but once I found the right time & patch there were 9 fish landed (8 released + 1 kept for lunch). All the fish were healthy specimens 50cm+. With the landing net having been left in the car boot - I was fortunate that all fish hooked were landed.

I found the most productive areas to be "upstream" from the bridge pylons - as far up as around the first big bend in the river. It may have been due to the very high tide (1.7m I think) - casting up at the shoreline was the way to go. Dont be afraid to cast your lure all the way on the shore/on the pylons. You may lose a few that way - but it's where the fish are.

Smaller plastic lures like wrigglers + flickbaits (2.5-3inch) on light line (4lb braid 6lb leader) seemed to do the trick. Obviously for flathead - if you're not on the bottom you're wasting your time. Sounds obvious - but it's worth paying attention all the time by watching your braid. Flattenning the barb from your hook will help you release fish more easily - and I have found it no hinderance to landing fish (as there is no "slack" employed when spinning)

Ran into another chap in a yak who was slow trolling small hard-body lures, he had some plate size tailor + trevally from the main channel.

Cheers,

Dave

post-12244-033573900 1325218173_thumb.jpg

post-12244-022268000 1325218320_thumb.jpg

post-12244-034509300 1325218416_thumb.jpg

post-12244-050628900 1325218473_thumb.jpg

A nice morning (a few days back now) spent catching flatties from my yak around Roseville.

Got to the water around 7:15am - slow start produced no fish for the first hour or two - but once I found the right time & patch there were 9 fish landed (8 released + 1 kept for lunch). All the fish were healthy specimens 50cm+. With the landing net having been left in the car boot - I was fortunate that all fish hooked were landed.

I found the most productive areas to be "upstream" from the bridge pylons - as far up as around the first big bend in the river. It may have been due to the very high tide (1.7m I think) - casting up at the shoreline was the way to go. Dont be afraid to cast your lure all the way on the shore/on the pylons. You may lose a few that way - but it's where the fish are.

Smaller plastic lures like wrigglers + flickbaits (2.5-3inch) on light line (4lb braid 6lb leader) seemed to do the trick. Obviously for flathead - if you're not on the bottom you're wasting your time. Sounds obvious - but it's worth paying attention all the time by watching your braid. Flattenning the barb from your hook will help you release fish more easily - and I have found it no hinderance to landing fish (as there is no "slack" employed when spinning)

Ran into another chap in a yak who was slow trolling small hard-body lures, he had some plate size tailor + trevally from the main channel.

Cheers,

Dave

Wow Top Fish!

What Jighead were you using brother?

nice fish, ive been trying in the area a few times as ive just moved here, do u fish the magrove side or the rocks, such a good spot late afternoon to flick a few plastics, fish is a bonus

fishing the mangrove side was best on this particular trip - but have had more success around the bridge pylons in the past