Fishing The Entrance next week-help!

Mutt

Hey all!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful and fishy festive season. I need some help!!! I'm going up to the central coast (Bateau Bay) next week for a couple of days. Realistically I will only have one day to get the tinny out for a fish and I have no experience in the area whatsoever!!! I prefer bait fishing and usually use nippers and poddies with success so am happy to collect live bait. Basically any help would be greatly appreciated but I see there are a few islands at the entrance and was going to drift around them, good idea? Also is there a good bait shop nearby if I'm feeling lazy? Thanks in advance....

It's like a carpark of boats at the entrance atm, even shore is lined with fishermen. Lots of shallow areas there, heaps of bait shops there also, you can't miss them. I won't be fishing there until end of holidays sue to the amount of people and attitudes there.

i spent a couple of days there it was good fishing but there were heaps of people there and some really bad attitudes atm there are good size whiting and jew being caught and its good to see fisheries there keeping people from keeping undersized fish and sticking to the bag limit

Seriously, at the moment it's only worth going out early (just before sunrise). The daytime throng that gathers at Picnic Point are usually well behaved but it takes only one or two inexperienced or inconsiderate people to get tempers flaring. Couple that with the usual idiots steaming up the channel (1.5m deep and 10m wide) at speed and it can be mayhem.

If you want to go out early and avoid the mob at the Picnic Point or North Entrance ramps then I suggest putting in at the old ramp at the south end of Tuggerah Parade, Long Jetty. It's quite suitable for small craft although if you're out for the whole day the run back across the lake can get bumpy once the nor'easter comes up.

The ramp is identified on google maps by searching for Lot 453 Tuggerah Parade Long Jetty.

If you are out early then head over to Ourimbah Creek and throw some baits or lures into the shore structure for bream and flatties. Thought once the sun gets high it will go quiet.

Have fun.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate all suggestions! As I usually fish Botany Bay, Port Hacking and down the south coast, any help is great! Will probably get out early on Tuesday and will post a report from an absolute novice's perspective!!!

I'd suggest going down to Brissy water. There will be traffic, but there's more fishable space and you'll get a bit more peace.

For the reason's outlined above. The place is horrible come holiday time. All them sydney folk :1prop: (that was light hearted!)

Hi mate

I fished at the enterance yesterday and very busy. I decided just to use some soft plastics (thanks to the tackle shop in the middle of the enterance as he convinced me to use plastic rather than bait) and walked out to the sand banks between the enterance and the bridge. Had a great time and caught a nice one - 1st one ever on a plastic. Nobody around me as I walked out to the last sand bank before it went deep in the north side channel but I wouldnt worry about the boat as just too much hassle and traffic in a small area. I was laughing about how many boats in such a small area.

Good luck

Steve B

I'd suggest going down to Brissy water. There will be traffic, but there's more fishable space and you'll get a bit more peace.

For the reason's outlined above. The place is horrible come holiday time. All them sydney folk :1prop: (that was light hearted!)

The Entrance looked like a garbage tip yesterday.They all come up here cos its so nice then leave it looking like a tip.Roll on end of the holidays I say.

The Entrance looked like a garbage tip yesterday.They all come up here cos its so nice then leave it looking like a tip.Roll on end of the holidays I say.

A tip isn't the word for it, it's a disgrace along the waterways there, I wonder if their homes are as filthy.