Making A Jewfish Jewel Necklace......

Red

Hi Fishraiders,

After a successful season chasing jewfish in Botany Bay, i've accumulated enough jewels to make a nice necklace :thumbup: The problem is, i have no idea as to how i can achieve this. The jewels are so hard, they look like they may break if drilled :wacko: Any idea's as to how i can go about making this necklace?

Red

G'day Swoffa,

We are not getting "that many" jews. Just 2 or 3 per night was about average there for a while. Fish were averaging around the 9-13kg mark. The spot i found looks good for SP work if you are after this sort of size as an average. The program you mention looks great and i will get involved in it for sure.

Has anyone made a jewel necklace or knows of anyone that has? There's got to be a better way than attempting to drill the stuff.

Cheers

Red

Guest hottuna
you could alwayssuperglue a little bit of metal or something on the top of the jewel to pass the line or wire through

54414[/snapback]

I reakon its possible but would be very difficult to drill for a novice. Meaning maybe if you had jewellers tools you could do it.

AS you see makos teeth hanging on ppls neck there not drilled. Mounted/gluded to a peice of metle then threaded with whatever....

dan

G`day Fellas ,

The Jewels should be polished by a Professional Lapidist , but my son has not found one willing to do so as yet.

The pics below is of one of the Jewels , but I cant seem to find the other pics..

Mick

Edited by OWZAT

Thanks fellas for your input and thanks Mick for posting a pic of the jewie's jewels.

I'm not keen on drilling because i don't have the right equipment and will stuff them for sure :( Seems glueing is probably the best option at this stage. Just got to find the right adhesive now :wacko:

Red

many years ago i drilled holes through some large hammerhead teeth with a glass engraving bit in an easy etch (dremel type tool), it cut through very easy and neat as the glass engraving bits are diamond tipped.

my father in law is a dentist i'll ask him about adhesives but i'm pretty sure all the ones they use now are set with UV light.

DON'T try drilling a hole it will shatter the jewel! if it doesn't shatter straight away it may at a later stage due to wear and tear

where do you live...there is a bead shop in chatswood which sells stuff you could use...i made mine using a small metal bell-cap (usually used to make pendants out of crystals), these are round but using pliers you can flatten it to fit the narrow end of jewel (fits perfectly for a 50lber :1naughty: )

i used clear araldite to make the bond

small split ring to connect to the bell-cap then leather string or chain etc to complete.

snapped the jewel on my first (they are brittle!) and lost my second necklace...still got 2 spares... :1prop:

this pic shows the necklace...

1790rainbow3-med.JPG

Nice bait there bung.

looks like the rocks at blue hole SWR.(always good rainbows there too).

Whatck that baby out on a balloon and watch it go...........lol

Red,

Why dont you just collect them and wear that lovely gold marlin pendant (sheeeeez!!!.......i know what id have on.......) :thumbup:

changa

Edited by changa

Red,

Why dont you just collect them and wear that lovely gold marlin pendant (sheeeeez!!!.......i know what id have on.......) :thumbup:

changa

54631[/snapback]

:thumbup: You are right Changa but someone else :wife: has her eyes on that beautiful gold marlin pendant :wife::ranting2:

Cheers

Red

Guest Jocool
Hey Red, try letting a few go, healthy fishstocks and no kook jewellery.

54756[/snapback]

Without meaning to sound rude Reality, what Red does with his Jews is his concern. If what he is catching is legal, then it is his perogative to keep it.

We will not have this thread degrading to a slanging match.

Without meaning to sound rude Reality, what Red does with his Jews is his concern. If what he is catching is legal, then it is his perogative to keep it.

We will not have this thread degrading to a slanging match.

54765[/snapback]

Cheers Jocool,

Mate, the "REALITY" is, i have two young kids that absolutely love eating fish and nothing makes me, and surely many other parents happier than seeing them eat the fresh fish. :yahoo::yahoo: It's a wonderful feeling :1clap:

People who know me, know that i release all jewfish under 5kg :thumbup: so i am doing my bit for people like Mr REALITY :074: Maybe next season, my self imposed size limit will increase to 6kg, and without doubt, people like Reality will still be having their whinge :badair:

Red

Edited by Red

Guest Jocool
Jocool, it may be "legal" to keep as many jews as it's possible to catch in hard fished Syd waterways (assuming it's possible to nail 5 per night per angler within the size brackets), but it don't make it right.

54780[/snapback]

I believe the same as you do..... It doesnt make it right. But so long as we have that particular law to work with everyone is entitled to take what they see fit...AS LONG AS IT'S LEGAL! But I won't be bagging anyone for it.

Its OK to make a suggestion as to what your thoughts are Reality, but don't be preaching. Thats all I will say on this issue!

Don't waste your time Jocool.

Some people will always find something to whinge about :badair: . :05:

Seems providing fish for your family is a crime to some :risata::074::thumbdown:

Reality, would it make you happy if i fed my family with jewfish bought from the markets???

Cheers

Red

Edited by Red

Joe,

I don't know how you, Ken and the others put up with this!

Why is it that someone always wants to jam their opinions down others throats?

For you blokes that put so much time and effort into this site, it must drive you crazy!

Cheers to tha sane majority!

Pete

I don't know how you, Ken and the others put up with this!

Why is it that someone always wants to jam their opinions down others throats?

For you blokes that put so much time and effort into this site, it must drive you crazy!

There is always someone who wants to force his opinion down someone elses throat. Normally these types contribute nothing meaningful to the forum & do little or nothing to help other anglers.

This is just another example. They don't drive me crazy cause I ban them before they do. If they want to provoke arguments they can go to other sites & do it.

No one is going to get bagged here when they have done nothing illegal. Anyone who has a problem with the laws on bag limits & legal sizes should write the minister about it.

Here is a site that portrays pretty accurately the various inhabitants of forums. In this case the it looks like a "troller" to me. Check it out :biggrin2:Flame Warriors - The troller

Give it away mate. Nobody wants to read this crap. Your "do as i say" B.S. has been done to the death, long before you or i came along.

The fact is, we release plenty and never ever abuse the rules. I can't help you if you have a problem with that :thumbdown:

Cheers

Red

Ive had success drilling the jewels. Im wearing a necklace with a couple on now. Use a steel carbide pearl drillbit at low speed with a small drill. Dremmels lowest speed is still to fast and you have to do it slowlly. If you dont have a electric low speed drill use a hand held drill and have a mate hold the jewel. Sometimes they will crack but you can glue them back using a two part epoxy. It drys clear and you wont notice the crack untill you hold them up to the light. You can't get the drillbit from hardware stores you will need to go to a jewellery supply store. Drill threw the side so when threded the smooth side is facing. Theres no need to polish eather, there smooth enough and the edges dont cut or scratch the skin. I think they look much better when they are drilled rather then gluing on a hoop.

You never know.......The necklace might bring you good luck catching more jewies. I compare it to cave men who make necklaces out of teeth from there kills. Theres a bit of cave men in us all!

Thanks Giles,

That's great info mate. Is it possible to post a pic?

I know exactly what you mean about being a cave man :1prop: but i wouldn't change a thing. Our hobby/sport is the ultimate mix of skill and serenity :thumbup:

Regards

Red

Cant send a photo for a while. If you look at the jewel on one side there is a slight crevis. Use that as a starting guid for the drill bit. I use 15kg fishing line with wooden beeds going all the way round. Then you can keep adding the jewels as you catch them. I also put 1 tiny beed between each jewel to keep them sitting right.

Nice bait there bung.

looks like the rocks at blue hole SWR.(always good rainbows there too).

Whatck that baby out on a balloon and watch it go...........lol

Red,

changa

54631[/snapback]

:thumbup:

if i was fishn where you think i was i definitely woulda sent it back out! super beaky bait that.