making your own surface lures

Izza

G'day Raiders

Been looking at a few different pages on the net about making your own wooden surface lures and am keen to give it a crack, probably just going to try and make some smallish minnows for my first try. Has anyone ever made there own lures? also can I get the hooks tow points bibs etc from any tackle store or do I have to get them from lure companys themselves? would I need to weight the lure to make it work right to give it the right action/angle? and how exactly does the bib of a lure work in relation to diving and or action does a smaller bib give a tighter wiggle and a shallower dive where as a large bib makes for a deeper dive with a slow wiggle?? Im sure Id figure it out through trial and error but why not probe the fountain of knowledge that is fish raider :biggrin2:

hope you all had a good new years

Guest twitchie(U-Make-Em )

Hi Newbie88

u-make -softplastics will be able to help you bibs and wires in a few months time we will be caring a range of plastic bibs if you need them sooner than that you will need to get them from America. or cut them from aluminium .

if you are looking at making surface fizzers and poppers you can make them from timber or floating silicone which you should be able to get from a company called Solid solutions .they would be able to supply molding materials for you to make your mplds for silicone lures. when making silicone suffice lures you will have to put the wire forms into the mold before pouring .When making timber lures i generally make my wire forms to suit the length of the lure i am about to shape .first put a cut in your timber from one end to the other. if making a bibed lure put your cut for your bib as well place your wire form in from front to tail and be aware of where your bottom wire is. glue it in place with 24hr aroldite .you are ready to shape your lure i usually put the bib in at the end just before painting .we carry only a few un painted lure bodies one is 100mm surface lure and we have a 38mm which suspends in the rite conditions these are a good place to start or we can supply you with all your needs to make your own soft plastics.

I make my own timber lures, a lot of sites say to use balsa but it is rubbish IMO, I generally only use cedar as you can get a much nicer finish to it and you have a decent amount of weight there for casting. I make my bibs out of titanium sheet either 0.4mm or 0.8mm thick, mainly because i have access to it at work. As far as tow points go i only ever do a through wire construction which can be a bit tricky when having 2 trebles on a lure but you never have to worry about tow points pulling out of the wood.

I planning on making some stick baits and poppers soon so i'll take pics along the way for a step by step thingy..

Pics below are some i made out of cedar and decided to leave natural finish rather than painting them up. They've had 1 coat of 2 part epoxy which got rubbed back and then another 2 coats applied to finish them. Would have more pics of these but the missus needed a christmas present for her step dad and took them as soon as they were finished..

Ben

post-14668-068052000 1325670548_thumb.jpg

post-14668-080104700 1325670565_thumb.jpg

post-14668-084753900 1325670581_thumb.jpg