getting the boat back on the trailer

oz_brett

After a cruise around the Harbor yesterday I returned to the boat ramp in about 16knot winds. I always drive my boat on to the trailer and yesterday was no exception only I was also watching the guy beside me do the same with 4.3m tinnie having all sorts of trouble because he reversed he's trailer too deep allowing the boat to drift off the rollers.

For any one retrieving a boat(on rollers, Ive nexperiencece with anything else)the last roller of the trailer should only just be below the waterline, put the front centre of the boat (keel) against this roller swing the back around untill strait by turning the motor trim motor up so that prop has just enough water to push then acceleratete up the trailer (if the nose of the boat seems to point up too hight you may need to reverse trailer a little more to avoid draging the leg of the motor on the ramp).

If winching the boat on theory is the same - trailer until last roller just below water line & start winding it on, if the boat is crooked due to currant or wind keep winching slowly and the boat should straiten itself.

This was the most valuable tip I received when buying my first new boat & I have never forgot it.

Brett

good info :thumbup: i seem to be the one who is next in line when someone puts there trailer in to far and end up walking down and helping them straighten the boat up i have a set method of puting trailer in the water about 100mm from the top of the gaurds and can drive boat on everytime i always tell my mates that to who usually back the trailer in :biggrin2:

For any one retrieving a boat(on rollers, Ive nexperiencece with anything else)the last roller of the trailer should only just be below the waterline, put the front centre of the boat (keel) against this roller swing the back around untill strait by turning the motor trim motor up so that prop has just enough water to push then acceleratete up the trailer (if the nose of the boat seems to point up too hight you may need to reverse trailer a little more to avoid draging the leg of the motor on the ramp).

If winching the boat on theory is the same - trailer until last roller just below water line & start winding it on, if the boat is crooked due to currant or wind keep winching slowly and the boat should straiten itself.

This was the most valuable tip I received when buying my first new boat & I have never forgot it.

Brett

Brett 100% spot on. The number of people trying to retreive a boat with the trailer to high or to low in the water never ceases to amaise me.

Your comment about allinging the boat is one that a lot have yet to learn. Getting the boat straight especially in a cross wind and or tide flow can be rather difficult. A lot tend to reverse then give it another run all of which takes time.

Once the nose is in the correct position , using the motor is the way to go.

Geoff