Squidding with bibbed minnow

zealmax

I am newbie to fishing. Been trying to catch some squid around palm beach.

I don't own a boat and I get sea sick(real bad), so I do my fishing from the shore.

I have caught some off palm beach rock pools, but the weather has been pretty bad with big swell so I have been going to palm beach wharf.

I have been going there for few times without much luck. I keep getting bites on the squid jig but can't pull them in.

I have been reading up on bibbed minnow baits, and thought I might try to catch some bream from the wharf.

This was in the evening low tide about 10pm - 1am. I used a white 6cm 3.3g bibbed minnow and to my surprise I was getting bites.

It didn't feel like fish, and was quite weak. This being the first time jigging with minnow lure. I really didn't know what I was doing.

To my surprise I got a hit and it felt like squid, and it was squid. I caught 2 squid about 25cm using a bibbed minnow at night.

Looks like the treble hooks are more effective at keeping the squid hooked than squid jigs.

Anyway after catching couple of squid I put on the size 2.0 squid jigs to see if it is more effective. It wasn't.

Anyone have experience with squid on bibbed minnow in the evening? I am thinking I should just use the bibbed minnows and throw out the squid jigs.

Hey mate,

You will definitely catch more Squid on your jigs. Sometimes the squid can be super aggressive and will smash plastics and other lures but the jigs are 100% designed to catch Squid. one bit of advice is fish your jigs dead slow. also learn your different jigs sink rates and try and keep them about 2 foot from the bottom on your whole retrieve. once a squid hits go gentle on them as their tentacles are super soft. just slow constant pressure and you will land them. Nothing worst than loosing a Squid from too much pressure. its probably easier to catch them from the shore too.

Hey mate,

You will definitely catch more Squid on your jigs. Sometimes the squid can be super aggressive and will smash plastics and other lures but the jigs are 100% designed to catch Squid. one bit of advice is fish your jigs dead slow. also learn your different jigs sink rates and try and keep them about 2 foot from the bottom on your whole retrieve. once a squid hits go gentle on them as their tentacles are super soft. just slow constant pressure and you will land them. Nothing worst than loosing a Squid from too much pressure. its probably easier to catch them from the shore too.

I guess I just got lucky with the bibbed minnow. Maybe it was the just colour of the minnow, but I definitely got more hits with it.

I have heard about squid jigs with bibs, and I think it has been talked about in this forum. Is there anyway to modify a bibbed minnow and replace the treble hook with the squid hooks?

Are there any small squid hooks that I can attach to the minnow?

Is there really any point? A squid jig is not a lure with squid prongs on it. Squid jigs are designed to entice cephalopods using their shape, colours, texture, suspension and movement to mimic the food that they would attack. A minnow lure wouldn't be as enticing to a squid as a squid jig. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's a lot less likely.

Use the correct tools for the job to maximise your results.

I guess I just got lucky with the bibbed minnow. Maybe it was the just colour of the minnow, but I definitely got more hits with it.

I have heard about squid jigs with bibs, and I think it has been talked about in this forum. Is there anyway to modify a bibbed minnow and replace the treble hook with the squid hooks?

Are there any small squid hooks that I can attach to the minnow?

Hey Mate,

Yeah squid will hit just about anything at times and i've got them on soft plastics, live nippers and at one stage on a small reddie i had only just hooked. Frankly though if your minow out fishes your jig then your using the wrong jig. Splash out and get a few good Yamashita jigs and you'll never look back. Much better option than butchering your minnow.

Rich

Hey Mate,

Yeah squid will hit just about anything at times and i've got them on soft plastics, live nippers and at one stage on a small reddie i had only just hooked. Frankly though if your minow out fishes your jig then your using the wrong jig. Splash out and get a few good Yamashita jigs and you'll never look back. Much better option than butchering your minnow.

Rich

I haven't tried the Yamashita, only have few cheapies. I might get couple of Yamashita jigs and try it out. Thanks.