Boat Buying decision - Stessco v Quintrex

CoogeeFully

Hi, I'm a new boatie who is having difficulty deciding between buying the following two boats and would value any advice/experience from members - cheers:

1. 2006 Stessco Skipper 420DLX, 30hp Suzuki, only taken out 3 times, as new of a workmate with 4 hours on the clock, Bimini,6 jackets, fishfinder, sand anchor, nav lights, bilge pump- $12,000

2. 1999 475 Quintrex Bayhunter Caprice, 70hp Yammaha, same extras as Stessco, 200 hours on the motor, - $15,000

I guess my main concern is the Stessco won't have the grunt or stability to go outside, and me and my mates are 6" + lads and are worried about room to move etc; and I've heard the welding ain't too flash on the Stesscos. Cheers for your views

Ambrose

Bayhunter.

My dads mate had a Stessco Skipper 420 with a 30hp Suzuki and we had our a 460 Ally Craft Bay Raider with a 60hp Yammy on the back out for a trip one day. We both had 3 people in each boat and the weight was about the same and our boat planed easily and got along great while his boat really had a hard time. The boat barely planed. He ended up selling the boat 6 months later after buying it new for 18k with all the goodies and bought a 469 Stacer Baymaster with a 75hp Merc and he has never been happier.

Also with the Bayhunter you'll have a pod which makes a big difference, the room inside the boat is so much better, it's more stable and you really enjoy fishing out of it. From memory the 30hp Suzuki only has 2 cylinders and doesn't run anywhere near as smooth as the 3 cylinder Yammy. My boat isn't as big as the Bayhunter and doesn't have as much power on the back and we wouldn't trade it for the world ! perfect sized boat if you are taking some people out.

If you have any questions just ask mate. The good thing about boats is you don't lose out on them, if you don't like the boat a few months later you could sell it for almost the same amount you paid for it.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers and goodluck with the boat hunting

Edited by quintrex101

HI, I can only talk about the quintrex as that is the same as my boat and I bought it as my first boat 2 years ago. It had 100 hours when I bought it and the motor was like new. It's now got almost 170 and I couldn't be happier with it. I've not had one un-surprised person when I tell them that the boat is over 10 years old.

The motor is very reliable and has more than enough power for general use, especially for a first timer. I've taken it outside, through bars (Narooma, Batemans Bay and Bermagui) and can easily use it inside. It's stable enough, and with the milleniem hull I have rarely copped any spray. There's enough room for 3 to fish out of it comfortably.

Lately I started using it to tow tubers and soon I might try pulling skiers too. It's a great first boat.

That's not a bad price if everything is in working order and good condition.

Since I bought mine I've replaced the canopy with a bimini and front clear, had a custom travel cover made, replaced the old stickers and put it on a much heavier trailer. Replacing the sounder will be next.

When I do eventually update I will be looking for the same style and brand of boat, just something bigger. But that won't be for a few years. (unless the right off comes along :biggrin2: )

Good luck which ever way you go.

I too have the exact same boat/motor (but without the millennium hull). I have had it for 12 years and has never missed a beat. Great motor but I think it is a little dated and I do find it too noisy for shallow water estury use. A very versitile boat which I use mostly solo but sometimes with my kids. Very easy to manage at the boat ramp. Have been caught out in a couple of scary situations which it dealt with confidence. The cuddy cabin sheds water nicely and gives you an elevated driving positon which greatly increased the overall safety aspect.

Cheers, Im picking up a 475 next week, 16k, 2001; 150 hours, in good condition- pretty stoked!!

Thanks for the advice provided by all

Cheers :-))

Sounds like a very good buy.. well done, post up some photo's when you get her home :)