Broken Bay

breamie

Hey Raiders,

My brother and I are heaing up this way in a couple of days and we are just wondering were some good spots are to catch live yakkas, squid and tailor? last time we fished wil frozen pilchard and had some success landing some decent size jews and bream. but after reading what some other people have caught on live bait we are more than keen to give it ago. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

West Head is the go for livies. Mainly yakkas and slimies at the moment. Not a bad spot to pick up some squid too. Make sure you burley for the yakkas HARD and fish near the pillboxes.

hey mack attack, i have fished the hawksbury before but never gone past the railway bridge, where abouts is west head? coz i have had no luck looking for live bait up that way except for the occassional tailor.

West Head is located on the right hand side of the river at the mouth as you turn into Pittwater .. or on the way down to pittwater.. I am sure you would be able to google it to get a look..

So from Broklyn head to wards the mouth of the river past juno point.. stay on the right hand side of the river.. go past flint and steel where the red marker is on the rocks.. the next inlet or bay you come to before you hit open water heads to Pittwater ..Look for the pillbox up in the rocks and burley hard with bread.. you cant miss them

You need to head further downstream, past dangar island, left at the end (Juno point) into the bay, up past patonga on your left, then turn right into pittwater. It's on you're right as soon as you turn into pittwater. You'll usually see a heap of boats on the point there getting them. Hope the directions make sense!

Hey Guys thanks for all your help. however we only have a fairly small boat and when its rough its hard to get to these places. just wondering if you know of any places around or close to either the road or the railway bridge to catch lives?

thanks heaps guys.

Hey Guys thanks for all your help. however we only have a fairly small boat and when its rough its hard to get to these places. just wondering if you know of any places around or close to either the road or the railway bridge to catch lives?

thanks heaps guys.

Mate, West Head isn't too bad unless you pick a day with a big swell and an onshore wind. I've been there in a hire tinny of about 4m and had no problems. You can get yakkas back at the railway bridge but its a bit trickier. Just Burley and hope for the best. Whiting are another option. A big Jew or flattie would happily scoff down a just legal whiting. Tailor are even better!

Mate, West Head isn't too bad unless you pick a day with a big swell and an onshore wind. I've been there in a hire tinny of about 4m and had no problems. You can get yakkas back at the railway bridge but its a bit trickier. Just Burley and hope for the best. Whiting are another option. A big Jew or flattie would happily scoff down a just legal whiting. Tailor are even better!

hmmmm sounds good i will have to head to west head next time im out on the water. I heard grated potato works really good for yakkas, anyone else heard this??

Grated potato does work very well but the downside is that it makes the yakkas sick and sluggish. When we used to do live baiting off the rocks, we would catch them and put them in a plastic wading pool (with aerator) and then have to drop in a few Aspro Clear tablets to get them going again! Stick to pillies and some bread for burley, less fuss and any yakkas you release won't suffer from high cholesterol!!