trailer brake cable question

slinkymalinky

Hi all,

I'm after some advice. I just replaced the brake cable on my trailer (for a 480 Quintrex). It's something that needs doing regularly unfortunately.

Is there any way of slowing down the corrosion of the cable? Would it be ok to give it a coat of lanolin grease maybe? I know not to use grease on roller spindles as it traps salt and crud inside the rollers but with the cable being exposed does the same thing hold true?

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Slinky

Edited by slinkymalinky

I use a good quality lanolin aerosol spray every couple of months or so on my Quintrex (Dumbier) trailer brake cable.

It's now 6yrs old and only just showing some surface rust on the cut ends of the cable, and no other dramas at all.

(obviously keep it away from brake discs, pads and callipers)

I also give the whole trailer a spray with the stuff and the coating lasts for months.

Edited by aquaman

The brake cable on my Dunbier was all rusted within 12 months so I replaced it with plastic coated cable and thats now been there for 3 years with no spray and showing no sign of corrosion. I also done away tith there system where the cable follows the trailers shassy and run a more direct route using stainless guides reducing drag and friction on the cable.

I recently had my brake cable replaced on my 530 quintrex by a quintrex dealer, he have me a bottle of lanox to use on the calipers and cable, said to do it every week or two when it's dry, so must be good to help slow rust / corrosion.

Ive walked down the path of the S/S cable and rubbed it down with grease and didnt show any signs of rust at all. Used it for over a yr or 2 until we had a acident with the trailer and snaped the cable :ranting2: . Cost me $50 from bunnnings. Only thing that was bad about it was, it was very stiff compare to the gal cable which is what im using now and its all rusted up after half a yr. booooo

Ive notice on new boat/trailers them using the plastic coating cable. I think thats the way to go.

cheers

Ive walked down the path of the S/S cable . Used it for over a yr or 2 until we had a acident with the trailer and snaped the cable

cheers

Out of interest , where did it brake , where it loops through the brake leaver arm??

Several years ago when replacing mine was going to use S/S but was advised by the marine dealer that S/S stretches & needs regular adjustment , also does not like being bent at a sharp angle & will fracture.

I've replaced my cable this week whilst doing the rust maintance on the trailer frame.

Had some Penetrol left over from the maintance so painted the cable prior to instalation. Will see how it goes.

I think Lanolin is also a good option.

Geoff

Yes, Geoff. At the lever arm.

I didn't even think about getting SS cable... just went on auto-pilot and got a replacement from the local boat shop. I'll use the lanolin now but based on what's been said in the replies, I'll switch next time.

Cheers, Slinky