Some XL fish today

the producer

Hi All

Today was my only chance for a fish this week and what a day it was.

Put the boat in just on sunrise and headed round towards north head in calm conditions

to be greeted by perfect Skys and smooth seas with about 1.5m long period swell.

Was planning on getting some fish out on the reefs because I have spent the last few

trips chasing kings and only getting 2 or 3 fish...... a long way from the 10 or 20 a day

we have enjoyed over the last few Summers.

First I decided to have a quick go for squid ( always good to have a few in case you find kingies )

and within 1/2 hour and 2 drifts we had 6 good size calamari including 2 that were full monster size adults.

Best had hood length of about 35cm ( 84cm total length ). I have caught them bigger, but not this summer.

They don't get much past 45cm in NSW waters so these are a great size. Headed back into the harbour to grab

some livies and had bonito jumping everywhere while we got a few yellowtail. So threw a little lure out and started

to head out zzzzzzzzz as soon as i put it in gear a salmon hit it, a few big leaps and we kept him for bait.

Not wanting to waste time on stuff we don't like to eat we decided to pull in lures and just head out to 60m.

Well the fishing was steady and over the next 3 hours we landed 2 big tigers and 13 good size sandies

some of which were over 60cm, and 2 nice Blue Morwong, and a couple of 6 spine jackets, and a few red spots.

Best Sand Flathead was 64cm and had some nice thick fillets for dinner on it.

Current was traveling south at over 2 Knts but with no wind it was easy to find the floor.

I don't take many photos these days but the best squid and flathead were worth a pic next to the lie detector.

Then headed in and dropped a few fresh squid baits around the heads

but we could only manage 4 kings and they were just on and just under 65cm so we released em to grow a bit.

Got some fillets on now so back to the cooktop....

..........hope you all had a great weekend.

Andrew

post-2029-033905000 1328428527_thumb.jpg

post-2029-041039900 1328428556_thumb.jpg

PS...just checked the fishraider record section and there

is no record for blue-spot sand flathead. ???

I will submit this as one to beat.

My PB. Blue-spot sand flathead is 71cm

so there is a good chance someone can beat

this so let this be a starting point.

And they are delicious ....far better eating than the dusky.

happy catching