Trout Fishing Blue Mountains

I set off early around 2:30am, yesterday morning to make the trip to Thompsons Creek dam. As I made my way up the mountains, the fog was ultra thick, like nothing I have seen before. I made it to the dam just before 6am, after making a stop at Macca's for some breakfast. I reached the dam wall on the eastern side, and could not see the water due to the fog. Day break had been and gone, but the fog was so think. It was a struggle seeing 2 metres out when stood by the waters edge! I could see a few fish rising taking some flies off the top, so I put on a dry fly, and got a take within minutes, my first take off the top at TCD I might add :thumbup:

However I missed it, and had no more joy off the top. I walked on round the bank, to the now more accessable prominent bays, due to the water level dropping I would say 4 metres in the last 2 months. I changed to a cracking looking green nymph, cast out my line, and put the rod down to prepare my spin/lure rod. Within seconds, I could hear and see the line shooting off my fly reel! I picked up the rod, tightened up on the line, sure enough I was on. A hen rainbow, around 2 & 1/2LB put up an awesome fight, my first on the fly rod for quite some time. Oh how I've missed you :thumbup:

post-21553-098828700 1328495830_thumb.jpg

Returned safely to fight another day.

I continued fishing with the nymph, but had no more takes, so I walked further up the eastern bank round to the next bay. I fished for an hour or so with no action. I decided to pack up and head round to the western bank. I started to reel in my line on my fly rod, when bang! The line tightened up! I was on again! It must have chased after the nymph as I reeled it in. Another cracking hen rainbow around 2LB.

post-21553-030686800 1328495985_thumb.jpg

Returned safely to fight another day.

That was all the action I had on the fly rod, I had a couple of missed takes on a celta lure & a squidgy fished deep. All in all it was a great day at TCD, all the more better for christining my new fly rod with two cracking looking rainbows!

Edited by foolforjesus

Well done on the fly!

So the waters still dropping?

Haven't been up for the last couple of weeks, must be the longest stint of not going up since I started chasing them since May last year.

That fog through the mountains is freaky , last trip was scary as sh1t! Was just as bad coming home at 930pm to!

I didn't think it fogged up in summer!:ranting2:

Greg

Nice pair of fish!

I was out there yesterday as well (although a lot later), and couldn't believe how much it had dropped in the last few months!

Walked the western bank and only saw one fish, and heaps of yabbie claws scattered along the bank.

Fished with a celter for a while then for a couple of hours (after I noticed the yabbie claws) with a squdgie pro lobby hopping close to the bottom but no hits or follows so ended up calling it a nice day out.

Well done!

Thanks aquaman! I left at around 1pm, there was a couple of gents arriving as i was packing up at the carpark. Was that you???

I was going to fish the western bank in the early afternoon, but headed off instead.

I fished last week, and didn't get a touch nor see any fish moving.

The air pressure yesterday was around 998, which going off what my fishing berometer says, is poor conditions.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it makes any difference.

I'm not sure if there is any truth to the barometric air pressure with Trout's swim bladder???

Anyway, It said poor conditions yesterday, and i caught so???

Edited by foolforjesus

Thanks aquaman! I left at around 1pm, there was a couple of gents arriving as i was packing up at the carpark. Was that you???

I was going to fish the western bank in the early afternoon, but headed off instead.

I fished last week, and didn't get a touch nor see any fish moving.

The air pressure yesterday was around 998, which going off what my fishing berometer says, is poor conditions.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it makes any difference.

I'm not sure if there is any truth to the barometric air pressure with Trout's swim bladder???

Anyway, It said poor conditions yesterday, and i caught so???

No that was not me. I would have been well round the side by then. I did come across those gents about 1/2 hr later. As well as a large group pulling rocks away from the dam wall trying to catch a yabbie......not very smart pulling rocks away from the bottom of a big rock wall??

Im unsure of the barometric conditions effect on trout, never taken a lot of notice (maybe I should start writing conditions/catch rates down) I just go when I can!

Delta Electricity pumps water from Lake Lyall to Lake wallis (at the power station) then up to TCD. They then let TCD gravity feed or pump down to lake wallis when needed. I don't think they pump from TCD back down to Lyall?

Cheers.

Great report and well done on the fly. I was talking to a guy at the local flyshop who was telling me the trout at TCD were taking these grey nymph looking things with big eyes. He told me the name of the bug, but for the life of me couldn't remember.

Again, good work.

Regards Caddis

Not sure about the way the water is pumped between the lakes Aquaman, its just what I've heard.

Thanks Caddis, be good to know the name of that fly if you remember lol.

Do you kow the name of a good smelt imitaton?

They were going crazy for the smelt the last couple of weeks. They wouldn't touch anything else.