It's raining squid...

Kooks

After a week or so of solid trying I finally got some squid. I only got three but it's a break through after many dropped squid.

It been a slow process of trial and error and testing out spots.

I live in the inner west so I've been trying various locations around drummoyne and balmain etc as I'd rather not have to travel too far if I don't have too. With all this rain and brown water I think a lot of locations that might be working aren't.

So last night I ventured out a bit further to Nth Sydney. As I'd never tried this spot I tied on my cheap glowing surecatch 3.0 jig. This is so i can find the bottom with out fear of losing a nice jig. So I played around with this jig for a while and had no luck on the squid. So I thought lets test out how the Yozuri 3.0 orange jig goes.

Bang! first cast I get a small one. Then next cast I get another one. Nothing for a while...must have been his mate. Then moved to another area and played with the jig for a while and when I'm winding in 5 squid shoot out from the darkness chasing my jig. I get one...while I'm storing him them must have moved on as no more hits.

It was time to pick up the missus. I'm over the moon as I have a decent bit of bait for my Hawesbury weekend away.

I did notice my jig was getting hit by small tailor, bream and large sweep will this scare off the squid?

I'm looking to do night shift at at around midnight on Friday for a jew...Does that look promising?

Oh and thanks to all the raider who gave me advice along the way.

Well done on the squid, and land based squidding is tough! I assume you were on a wharf ? What I do is have 2 rods rigged up, as soon as I land 1, I throw the other one in straight away whilst I handle the caught 1 and many a times there are squid following and you'll land another one on the second rod.

Squidding is just as exciting as fishing I have found. Generally I squid land based also and throw them straight on ice until I get to my Jewy hole. I like to get a few more though on top of my bait because lets face it, they aren't too shabby on the tooth.