Help with Sydney harbour

Benji-martin

Hi everyone,

I brought a boat 7 months ago and up untill now I have only ever fished the hawkesbury. I am going out on the harbour with some mates on Saturday and just need some help with some locations. I am going after kingfish, I reckon I can find squid just look for the weedy and sandy areas and have a cast. I do not know where there are any live bait grounds. Can someone tell me where there are a few so I can have a go for some yakkers.

For the kingfish I only know the makers like the wedding cakes but my only question is are you allowd to anchor around them or is it in the main channel? But just wondering for maybe some one to point me I to the direction for one more spot for the kingfish and how you fish it ( eg anchor, drift or troll).

The last question I have is it what rigs do you use I was going to use 2 unweighted baits as 2 weighted and put on the bottom will this work I don't have a down rigger so I can put any mid water.

All help will be appreciated very much.

Thank you very much

Martin

G'day Martin

You can usually sound up some slimies just outside or inside north head. Look for em on the sounder and berley them up to the boat once you find them. If you aren't at the heads try balmoral baths.

Cheers Leo

Cheers Leo

Yakkas at Balmoral Baths and island. Kingie grounds to try are North Head, Quarantine Head near the Buoy and at times, the deeper water off nielsen park. You rigs sound okay but another option instead of having the bait unweighted is under a float. Just suspend it maybe 1.5-2m under and away you go!

watsons bay whalf for yakkas and squid before sun up laddy jane for squid around the northen end if you have no luck at the markers fish the north side off sow and pigs on an outgoing tide in 10 meters + and berly and free float baits down the berly trail kings are also suckers for peeled prawns and pilly filets use small hooks and hang on :biggrin2:

cheers gary

Its also worth a shot trying in around the moorings at north harbour, there can be alot of peckers, but sooner or later the kings do cruise through. Though with the water visaility I would fish our baits in the bottom 1/3 of the water column.

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg