Some hair and feather jigs for trout

bombora

Hiya, just thought I'd show some jigs made mainly for trout. Have tied for a fair while but only very recently been hooked by the trout thing. It's harder making tiny jigs compared to big salty jigs - I think I may finally have to accept I need glasses!!!!!

The 3cm Rapala minnow and No1 Celta are for size comparison:

post-183-054499400 1328930809_thumb.jpg

post-183-093108500 1328931333_thumb.jpg

The orange and black belly spinner is to try something that fishes like a Celta, but has a single hook and no line twist. Idea stollen from US crappie fishers.

A tiny plastic will work just as well no doubt, but it's just fun making your own lures, and it's a buzz when they actually fool a fish! There's an argument that no plastic moves like rabbit or marabou.

Edited by bombora

Iceman for some reason I've never been able to do any good on bream with tiny hair or feather jigs. They go good on most everything else but on bream........??? Actually I'd like to see what a gun bream fisho could do with em.

Iron, I fight the call of the dark side constantly :) Some of the best trout jigs are just trout flies tied on a jighead. Then again, to me, any tungsten beadhead nymph fly is a little jig. Only the method of delivery is different. :)

Iceman for some reason I've never been able to do any good on bream with tiny hair or feather jigs. They go good on most everything else but on bream........??? Actually I'd like to see what a gun bream fisho could do with em.

Iron, I fight the call of the dark side constantly :) Some of the best trout jigs are just trout flies tied on a jighead. Then again, to me, any tungsten beadhead nymph fly is a little jig. Only the method of delivery is different. :)

They may work on marinas in the same way we fish SPs like hawgs gulp craws and crabbies but in natural colours such as olive brown or dark green

Hiya Iceman yep have done some on hidden weights but they are somewhere deep in my garbage dump of a garage.

Here's some 1/16ths based on a mudeye, with spinnerbait skirt rubber legs:

post-183-012574100 1329121028_thumb.jpg

Jighead woolly buggers and woolly worms are lethal. But so far the trout have been just as happy to scoff the slightly more simple jigs without the palmered feathers.

Edited by bombora

Heaps far enough on 3 pound Crystal Fireline and a 7'6" ultralight for a trout stream, in my limited experience. Wet fur and chenille helps with casting weight and casting profile. What's a pain for fly fishos is a a friend to a spin fisher!