Braid issues

Spooooled

Hey, lately ive been using super pe braid 10lb for normal fishing with a ball sinker mostly around size 3 to 4a, sumtimes wen i cast the braid snaps off its not because of the knot i know that for sure, can it be bcause of dry line and not washing it after trips? or what can it be ?

Thanks

Hey, lately ive been using super pe braid 10lb for normal fishing with a ball sinker mostly around size 3 to 4a, sumtimes wen i cast the braid snaps off its not because of the knot i know that for sure, can it be bcause of dry line and not washing it after trips? or what can it be ?

Thanks

When I use a running sinker rig when I'm bait fishing every now and again I need to cut off a small segment of braided line where the sinker and swivel connect. It seems that the sinker rubbing up against the braid seems to weaken it over time but I haven't yet had a problem with the line just snapping like you've described.

Spooled, for starters it has nothing to do with as you say "dry line". How do you fish? Are you running the sinker direct to the hook? Do you use a mono leader?. How do you cast, soft or do you try to get it over the horizon type? Basically if you are casting to the horizon..the striper guide is not being used and what tends to happen is the braid catches and due to the strain being put on it, snaps. If the braid is snapping near the tip, it is the top guide giving you grief. If the braid is snapping at the knot, then double your length of mono and tie your knot with the doubled piece as you would a single strand. You must remember braid has no give where as mono does. If all else fails go back to mono and find a suitable diameter. You can also try running about 5m of mono as a topshot.

Thesedays theres not much difference in gauge and you will save more as mono is cheaper. The funny thing is there are only three braid machines in the world and they all make the same stuff. What then happens is the braid is then sold off to the various companies who respool it and charge you a motza for it. If i told you what i get bulk spools of braid for you would have a heart attack!

Edited by finin

When I use a running sinker rig when I'm bait fishing every now and again I need to cut off a small segment of braided line where the sinker and swivel connect. It seems that the sinker rubbing up against the braid seems to weaken it over time but I haven't yet had a problem with the line just snapping like you've described.

Thanks for ur help

Spooled, for starters it has nothing to do with as you say "dry line". How do you fish? Are you running the sinker direct to the hook? Do you use a mono leader?. How do you cast, soft or do you try to get it over the horizon type? Basically if you are casting to the horizon..the striper guide is not being used and what tends to happen is the braid catches and due to the strain being put on it, snaps. If the braid is snapping near the tip, it is the top guide giving you grief. If the braid is snapping at the knot, then double your length of mono and tie your knot with the doubled piece as you would a single strand. You must remember braid has no give where as mono does. If all else fails go back to mono and find a suitable diameter. You can also try running about 5m of mono as a topshot.

Thesedays theres not much difference in gauge and you will save more as mono is cheaper. The funny thing is there are only three braid machines in the world and they all make the same stuff. What then happens is the braid is then sold off to the various companies who respool it and charge you a motza for it. If i told you what i get bulk spools of braid for you would have a heart attack!

i use leader when fishing so its not a running sinker straight to the hook, ive tried other braid and havent had a problem with it, but the only reason i stick to pe is its much thinner and smoother for casting in my opinion.

thanks for your help

Power pro is a great line, so is fireline crystal, 6lb breaks at 20ishlb! Although crystal does have a bit of memory when you first get it, after a couple of casts, the memory is reduced

thanks for your help squidward so it should be alrite if i use power pro with sinkers?

Thanks

We've used power pro with sinkers, and not had any dramas. Having said that though, its usually a heavier line class than 10lb and sinkers are normally on droppers. The few times I've run a sinker direct on the line, haven't had any issues though.

When you talk about dry line - not washing off after a session, are you leaving your rods rigged up? If you are, it could be that sand or something is drying in the sinker against the line. This would be abrasive when you next use it, I would think would only take a couple of casts for any grit to rub against the braid, weaken it and help snap the line.

You might also have a rough spot in the eye of the sinker - sometimes worth running a paperclip/nail of the appropriate size to match the sinker hole and smooth out the hole that the line runs through.

Just a couple of thoughts..

We've used power pro with sinkers, and not had any dramas. Having said that though, its usually a heavier line class than 10lb and sinkers are normally on droppers. The few times I've run a sinker direct on the line, haven't had any issues though.

When you talk about dry line - not washing off after a session, are you leaving your rods rigged up? If you are, it could be that sand or something is drying in the sinker against the line. This would be abrasive when you next use it, I would think would only take a couple of casts for any grit to rub against the braid, weaken it and help snap the line.

You might also have a rough spot in the eye of the sinker - sometimes worth running a paperclip/nail of the appropriate size to match the sinker hole and smooth out the hole that the line runs through.

Just a couple of thoughts..

Thanks Scotty for your help

Hey spooled.

I really think you will find that you may be abraiding the braid when casting!!!!

Either from the rod tip or the movement of the sinker during casting.

Smooth as is always the way to go when casting, even with mono, its a timimg thing.

Practise smoothness and you can build up to a really hard smooth caste after mastering the slower caste.

Also when casting with braid try to caste with the mono leader on the last rod tip runner so that you minimise abrasion to the braid.

Its a common problem and I really think you need to practise your casting techneque.

Also check your top runners for very small nicks and abrasions.

Do this by getting a cotton bud and running it around the inside of the top runners.

Any nicks will leave a sight residue/fibre of cotton on the runner/s and if so you will need to replace the top runners immediately otherwise the same problem will keep recurring.

Also with any light line all good fisho's constantly run their fingers down the leader to feel for nicks or abrasions from fishes teeth and or abrasions from rocks etc etc. ANY slight nick or abrasion means the leader need replacement immediately, It means the differance between a landed fish or a lost fish on the next caste.

Each time you catch a fish or get reefed check constantly on the status of your line, it is the only thing conecting you to yhe fish so its condition is a priority.

Hope this helps and my opinion.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

Hey spooled.

I really think you will find that you may be abraiding the braid when casting!!!!

Either from the rod tip or the movement of the sinker during casting.

Smooth as is always the way to go when casting, even with mono, its a timimg thing.

Practise smoothness and you can build up to a really hard smooth caste after mastering the slower caste.

Also when casting with braid try to caste with the mono leader on the last rod tip runner so that you minimise abrasion to the braid.

Its a common problem and I really think you need to practise your casting techneque.

Also check your top runners for very small nicks and abrasions.

Do this by getting a cotton bud and running it around the inside of the top runners.

Any nicks will leave a sight residue/fibre of cotton on the runner/s and if so you will need to replace the top runners immediately otherwise the same problem will keep recurring.

Also with any light line all good fisho's constantly run their fingers down the leader to feel for nicks or abrasions from fishes teeth and or abrasions from rocks etc etc. ANY slight nick or abrasion means the leader need replacement immediately, It means the differance between a landed fish or a lost fish on the next caste.

Each time you catch a fish or get reefed check constantly on the status of your line, it is the only thing conecting you to yhe fish so its condition is a priority.

Hope this helps and my opinion.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

Thanks trapper tom sure helped out

Hi spooled

I do a lot of light sp spinning and over the last two months have had nothing but trouble with 6lb pe and fireline. The main issue is with wind knots but have also had my fair share of breakages. I tried under spooling and different leader lengths which did make a difference but far from trouble free.

I have since switched to 6lb vanish and has been a dream silky smooth, good cast length and no need to tie double unis anymore! I am sure it could have been my setup but what I have learned is not all products work for everyone and there is no one solution. Fireline works great for my mate and he swears by it but I guess we have different styles. And yes I still catch just as many fish!

Hope this helps as it took me two very stressful and expensive months to get to this point.

Would be great to hear your solution once you find it.

Cheers

Paul

Hi spooled

I do a lot of light sp spinning and over the last two months have had nothing but trouble with 6lb pe and fireline. The main issue is with wind knots but have also had my fair share of breakages. I tried under spooling and different leader lengths which did make a difference but far from trouble free.

I have since switched to 6lb vanish and has been a dream silky smooth, good cast length and no need to tie double unis anymore! I am sure it could have been my setup but what I have learned is not all products work for everyone and there is no one solution. Fireline works great for my mate and he swears by it but I guess we have different styles. And yes I still catch just as many fish!

Hope this helps as it took me two very stressful and expensive months to get to this point.

Would be great to hear your solution once you find it.

Cheers

Paul

thanks task ill let you know when i find my soultion :1fishing1:

• 4 weeks later...