Botany wide FAD

Penguin

Hi everyone,

Myself and 2 mates went out to the Botany wide FAD yesterday.

Plenty of current, and even more wind pushed us along at a turbo

charged speed on every drift past the FAD. :mad3:

There were plenty of Dollies around, for every 1 legal size dolly we

landed, we would land at least 5 undersize models in between, and a

couple of pesky birds that would dive and pinch our pillie cubes and

our baits :ranting2: . It got very frustrating :05: Anyone know what

these ugly brown birds are called? my mate reckons they are mutton birds.

I also managed to hook a Rainbow Runner which I lost as I tried

to lift him out of the water with no net :1badmood: .

Heres a pic of the 6 keepers we got.

cheers

post-1664-040697500 1329433204_thumb.jpg

Hey mate great work on the dollies. Can i please ask what FAD number that is?

Did just bait them up or did you use any lures aswell?

they certainly are a pretty fish well done on your catch and sorry to hear about the rainbow : (

Will be working the FADs this weekend hopefully theres some biggens around!

Stan

Hey mate great work on the dollies. Can i please ask what FAD number that is?

Did just bait them up or did you use any lures aswell?

they certainly are a pretty fish well done on your catch and sorry to hear about the rainbow : (

Will be working the FADs this weekend hopefully theres some biggens around!

Stan

I dont know what you mean by FAD number, I only know it as the Botany Bay wide FAD,

its 16km East of Botany Bay. I tried lures and they didnt catch anything. All fish were

caught on pillie cubes, peeled prawns and garfish cubes. The garfish cubes worked

best as bait as they were a lot tougher than the pillies and were harder for the

dollies and birds to pinch off the hook.

cheers

Nice dollies Pengiun..so PPP did some damage.. :) Congrats. How did you present the bait? Weighted or Unweighted?

Mate we tried no weights at first but we were drifting that fast that it was hard to

get the baits down, We then resorted to using a splitshot, the largest we could find,

it worked a treat.

cheers

post-15959-085114700 1329463626_thumb.jpgNice work mate ,

We hit the northern fads last week and managed 4 legal dollies and a good size rainbow runner.It is strange to have the RR's here and good to know that you also hooked up on one. I love the dollies , they taste sooo good.

post-15959-080084600 1329463754_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slink

Looks very much like a king fish but has a very differnt strip running down its side and they dont grow as big as some kings say 20+kg, they look a lot slimmer also. Id like to know how long do they hang around for? the dollies ?

Edited by stevo-72

Hey! Great mahi mahi! It's a pity they lose some of their colour in photos. They look totally different coming up to the boat.

Not sure, but I think muttin birds and sheerwaters are the same thing. Apparently they fly here from Siberia! No wonder they are so hungry for our baits.

Not sure if it's legal but I discovered a method of keeping them away. All you do is dangle a bait close to the boat, that is, within netting range.

When one of them thinks they have found a bird lover and comes after the bait and close enough to net, you scoop it up. You then leave it in the net flapping around for all it's mates to see. They should keep at least 10 metres away or go and bother somebody else. If like me you take pity on the bird in the net you could always try giving it a pilchard as a reward but it will probably be too freaked out to eat. If you don't do this they will steal nearly every bait. Even if your bait has 500g of lead attached they can still catch it shooting down to the bottom.

Good luck.

Reeltired.