My first Kingy

Jew Stalker

Well, Today was absolutely amazing! Not only did I catch my first Kingy today but I also managed to bag out on them. My luck on the kingy front has suddenly taken a huge spike into the positive.

I recently just forked out about $700 for a T-curve bluewater and Saragosa for targeting big Jews and kingys and was worried if I was ever going to cut my teeth on a kingy with it... Imagine my relief today when I finally did and felt entirely justified after fighting with the big boy.

We started off the morning shooting straight over to the baitfish grounds to get a stack of slimy macks (they were attacking the sinker they were that hungry) and after about 30 of them in the live well we figure it was about time to head to the grounds at Green Cape on the far south coast of N.S.W. When we were close we noticed something and it was either going to be very bad of very good... there were more boats in the water than than I remember ever seeing in Sydney harbour hehehe. 61 boats were out doing their thing, alot were jigging, alot were throwing livies on, and there were a few pro boats around too. Despite all of the traffic all 3 of us on the boat bagged out, I ended up catching 5 and keeping two for a feed whilst letting the others go for another day.

They put up the best fights I have experienced thus far aside from the bluefin I lost when out a while ago and I enjoyed putting my gear through its paces.

My best fish which I am posting a pic of came out a 89cm and was an awesome fight which was most intense and thoroughly enjoyable. It left me with a smile a mile wide.

post-22055-085722600 1329544349_thumb.jpg

post-22055-086571300 1329544372_thumb.jpg

post-22055-012107700 1329544398_thumb.jpg

Wow nice catch mate great job!

Still waiting for my first king, have been busted off every time this summer.

Do you mind I ask what size rig you were using?

G'Day Tasksta, cheers much.

I was using:

Shimano T-Curve blue water 7'6 15-24kg rod

Shimano Saragosa 14000 reel

Virex braid 50lb in blue

Sunline FC rock 50lb leader

I had it rigged with a popper to start with but when we got there it was clear I had nowhere to cast it so a bait rig went on it. I was using live slimy mackerals and when they ran out I was onto squid heads which I had caught previously, 4/0 octopus on a single dropper loop with a 4oz lead underneath to get to where the fish were feeding.

They fight hard, I'm not surprised to hear that they have busted you off, I'm positive I'd had dust off's by them before but never did know for sure. It is a great feeling to finally get one in and a bit of a stonker too. :)

Edited by Jew Stalker

Think I will take a leaf out of your book and upgrade my gear. I have been using a 10kg rod with 6000 reel and 30lb mono, no wonder I have been getting smoked lol! Lost some BIG fish last week and still hurting.

So how did they taste?

"Good work mate. Especially on 50Lb leader too. The 24 Kg Tcurve gave you the advantage."

I'm sure it did, I don't regret buying it for a split second now. The missus was a bit unimpressed but I told her to think of it as an investment... It will catch more moneys worth of fish than we would have spent on fish anyway in a shorter time frame (We are both piscatarians, vegetarians that eat seafood) and this changed her mind for sure. The big fish weighed over 7 kilos and when filleted it provides dinner for many nights to come and Larnie definitely has come around to my method of thinking :)

"Congrats on your first kings mate, bet you'll be back for more as they are a great sport fish.. "

Cheers! there is no way anything could possibly keep me away now hehehe :) I thought when I caught my first Jewie I was excited but wrestling with those kingy's just got my blood pumping, They fought much harder than the Jew's I have been graced with the pleasure of fighting.

"Think I will take a leaf out of your book and upgrade my gear. I have been using a 10kg rod with 6000 reel and 30lb mono, no wonder I have been getting smoked lol! Lost some BIG fish last week and still hurting.

So how did they taste?"

You wont regret it! There are cheaper options than what I took which will be just as effective too. I took one look at the T-curve though and couldn't go past it.

I have to say that the one I had last night was perhaps the best tasting fish I have ever eaten. So firm, meaty, sweet and delicious... Nom nom nom nom nom. I am glad I kept a couple.