South West Rocks

Brian

Well raiders,

I write this with a sense of euphoria and achievement having reached, for me, the pinnacle of saltwater fishing having spent 5 days fishing at SWR with the two best fishing buddies a bloke could have, my close and long time mates Sean and Chappo.

I wrote a post this time last year and never thought Id ever beat the results of that trip let alone better it. The coast has suffered severely this year from rain and river flooding and SWR is no exception and probably one of the hardest hit. We were however very lucky and probably jagged the best week of weather they have had this season.

I arrived last Sunday and as usual did the :beersmile: thing until some ridiculous hour of the morning making grand plans to be up early and out on the water. We all know that sand in the eyes and pounding of the surf in the head feeling but we powered on.

Day 1: Out over the bar, which was good to us all week. We headed out into the bay to look for livies. Big problem :thumbdown: . The water is like Milo it is so brown and the river is spewing it out making all the Bay a putrid brown colour :1badmood: We head south to Fish Rock and mark some nice fish on the sounder. Drop a couple of jigs and on the second drop bag a nice 80cm king. Maybe this is not going to be so bad after all. Sean bags a much smaller one that goes back and we cant get another hit. We head out to a mark Sean has and drop a couple of jigs into 270 feet water. No result. Out to the FAD and let a floating pillie past it. Straight onto a nice 74cm Dollie. Maybe this day wont be too bad. But, that ended up being the best for the day. A bit windy and lumpy but at least the sun was out.

Day 2: Out again and down to fish rock. We get onto some livies and start to soak a few of them around the reef there. Wind was up a bit but, still very fishable. We tried hard with still no result. The water is green and not very clear making any prospects quite hard. We get info that a boat close to us has dropped a considerably large Cobia next to the boat. The fish are about but, just hard to get onto. After several hours and no action we pull the pin.

Sean is worried and Im on the phone to Chappo talking it up. Chappo arrives late Tuesday arvo and we do the :beersmile: thing again LOL. We make a plan and armed with some new info agree to head to Hat Head.

Day 3: Out again and straight down to Hat Head. The wind is getting up as we go and when we get to Hat Head we manage to get a tank full of slimies and some yakkas. Now this is what we wanted. :thumbup: We make the run out around the corner and straight into a southerly breeze. What is going on here the forecast was for light e/ne 10-15 knots later in the day. We run some hard bodied lures and skirts up and down but, it is too lumpy to get in close to the wash. We come back to the point and soak some of our live baits into the current.

Nothing, zipp, zilch. One other boat has managed a Spanish mackerel and that about it. Somewhat frustrated we make the run for home. It is a lonely look at the boat ramp when we are cleaning a nice big boat and not any fish. Another boat nearby was at a cleaning table giving a few reef species a bit of a tidy up. They noticed as standing around the table with our hands in our pockets staring and kicking at the ground.

We muster back at Seans place for a quiet :beersmile: and a bit of a think tank session. What are our options? Chappo makes the call and a good one it is. We decide to take the plunge to Bottom Bouncing. A big pill to swallow for a trio of pelagic hunters but, we needed that tap, tap, tap ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ feeling and fish in the boat.

Day 4: Out we go and head north to the reef grounds. We are blessed with a light breeze and little wave action. We run at 32 knots across the top and get to some of Seans many marks. With only a mild run in the current we make the bottom pretty easily and do a few drifts. Fish almost straight away. :thumbup: This is what we came for. After marking and trying several spots for a few fish each time we finally cracked a good reef and load up on Pearl Perch (11), 2 Trag, a Flatty, 5 juvi Snapper, 2 Venus Tusk Fish and a variety of other throw backs.

We are :biggrin2: As we head for home later in the day we find that the Charter boys did it tough. Sounds like working and sticking to our guns paid off. On the way in we are rewarded with some fun on light gear with Frigate Macks busting around the bay. Back at the ramp we certainly looked the goods at the cleaning table. Our banter over a few more beers that night lead us to the grand plan, MARLIN.

Day 5: Straight out to a special mark. Jig in 270 feet for one nice little Jew. Make several passes but no other enquiries. Move onto the FAD. First pass and nice 78cm Dollie. Great fun on the light gear but, only the one to the boat. The other dont want to come out and play. Righto lets get started. The weather Gods answered our prayers and we have a glass off. The water out wide is that type of blue that you cant replicate on a colour chart. Looking into it you feel you can see the abyss. After Sean has set a nice 4 pattern spread he gives me a few instructions on where to head, speed and what to look for on the sounder. He then gets into a comfy chair and promptly has a snooze. Im in charge. I can do this.

We make way at a good pace but, when I look at surface speed to speed over ground we are fighting a 5-6 knot current. Anyway we keep steaming along and pass over the waypoints. As we are going Im looking at this big cargo ship moving along. Im wondering why it seems to be going into the shore. Then I realise we are east of the shipping lane. A look at the chart and were past the point of Territorial Waters. Man we are out a long way. Depth 3812 feet.

I stick to the course and the water is like glass. After a couple of hours with each of us having a 30 minute run on strike, Im up. Suddenly to my right there is a smattering of bait fish across the surface. I make a lap around the area and back onto course. Are we being teased or is something going to happen? Sean makes the call on the road and lure that is going to get hit. The lures are popping so beautifully with a jet trail each time even I would eat them.

Suddenly Chappo is doing the back of the boat, back of the boat, back of the boat call. We look back and right at the teaser is big blue marlin. Sean goes to retrieve the teaser and the bloody thing grabs it. They are having a tug-o-war with it. Sean gets it in and the big fish is really MAD after losing his toy. He lights up an iridescent blue colour like a neon light and smacks the first lure he sees. Battle Stations, Clear the lines. I grab the rod and got a good set on the hook. For the next few minutes I experience the most awesome series of runs and leaps one can only imagine. This fish takes 37kg line like cotton and suddenly things get serious as Im getting spooled. Up the drag to full weight and we run after him. We are all CHEERing and hooting.

Once we all settle it is up to me to pump and wind and Sean on the helm to keep me in the right position. Guys a great team effort and the result was simply amazing. Mid way through the fight Chappo does the, we going to need a bigger boat statement. We look to the stern and cruising in is a fair size shark, Mako Id say and hes very interested in us. Maybe 10-12 feet. Im thinking hes going to kill my fish but, he moved off and left it alone.

After 65 minutes of standup fight on the 37kg rig. No harness and only a gimble belt to help and Chappo hanging onto the seat of my shorts we finally get colour. A few last leaps over the surface and hes up. Leader in, Sean takes the bill and got slammed a few times but, held tight. We get the hooks out and give him a big pat on the head for playing fair and swim him for several minutes. He gets his colour back and starts to tail wag nicely. I let him go and watch with a sense of awe as he slips into the blue. I dont mind saying, I was somewhat emotional about what we had just achieved. I have fished all my life and taken fish that some Anglers will maybe never see but, this was beyond anything I had dreamed of. Details, 3 metres from tip to tail and an estimate 140kg.

To Sean and Chappo I cant tell you how much it means to have shared that experience with you blokes.

Anyway enough of that! Big breath and we are back to action stations. Lines in, re-set the course and start again. It is not long and Sean the Master calls it again. Not just the area but the rod and lure he thinks will go off. Not 5 minutes later and BANG ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Battle Station, Clear the lines. Chappo is on and his fish is substantially bigger than the first. This time we are on 24kg gear. In no time flat this fish has about 300 metres of line and still going. We start to steam after him and down, down, down he went. This is going to be a long fight. Now after the first hour we have barley mad any ground on him. 90 minutes and Chappo is slowly getting line back.

The spectators are showing up. A pod of passing Dolphins take a very good look around us and the fish. Quite amazing how they all came and looked about. They are so much bigger than the ones you see in the river or surf. After several minutes they move on. Next thing is the mutton birds. It was like a scene out of Nemo. All these birds landing and peering into the water, watching and squawking at each other. Maybe they were hopeful of a pick or two LOL . Later another Neon sign is at the back of the boat. Another big beautiful blue marlin all lit up. He hovers around for several minutes before disappearing . We feel quite insignificant in this vast sea and have a sense of not belonging out here.

Now we are 2 hours into the fight and Chappo is done. He keeps apologising and we keep calling him names like girls blowse and @#$%& and others but, are quite concerned about the situation. We have had the fish to boat 5 times and really dont have the gear on him to actually lift his body mass any higher. The leader is agonisingly close to be touched. Finally Chappo relents and Sean gets on the rod. We try several different approaches to plane him up higher but he just holds his head and take a few more metres.

The decision is made. We are running out of day time, are now 14nm south of where we started and about 16nm to get home. Sean puts in 40 minutes and gives the rod to me. We decide to max the drag and skull drag him to the boat or lose him. In our mind he is a caught fish. None of us, including the fish has anything left. The last thing we want to do is kill it and that is now a real prospect. So, I crank and wind, crank and wind PING. Hes off. We watch as he slips away and turns and kicks. Gone. Hes alive and we are happy to have had the privilege of fighting this beast. Estimate 180kg + A solid 3 hour battle. Well call it a draw.

The run home is somewhat mute. I am reflecting on my first ever marlin and the fact I will probably never need to do that again. Chappo is reflecting on what could have been and Sean is watching the fuel gauge. YIKES. All good. The wind has piped up and it was a lumpy ride but we get back to the ramp and get home on dark.

There is little else to say. South West Rocks and Sean have done it again. You are a gracious man Sean, the way you share your home, your knowledge and your passion to fish. I can't thank you guys enough for the experience of the last week.

A sight every Angler loves to see. post-2792-036494000 1329613154_thumb.jpg

Hooked up. post-2792-099401400 1329610800_thumb.jpg

Fish.

post-2792-084840800 1329610810_thumb.jpg At the boat post-2792-029924300 1329610841_thumb.jpgpost-2792-034793900 1329611306_thumb.jpg

Chapoo is On

post-2792-020097200 1329611333_thumb.jpg This is fun LOL post-2792-087473000 1329611370_thumb.jpg

Yep. This is really fun! post-2792-039010400 1329611410_thumb.jpg I see what you mean. post-2792-005902800 1329611448_thumb.jpg

Some other fish.

post-2792-066145100 1329611496_thumb.jpg post-2792-090540000 1329611790_thumb.jpg post-2792-020033600 1329611818_thumb.jpg post-2792-019331000 1329611839_thumb.jpg post-2792-084568600 1329611860_thumb.jpg post-2792-027168700 1329611882_thumb.jpg

post-2792-084257800 1329610824_thumb.jpg

post-2792-080649900 1329611197_thumb.jpg

post-2792-018973100 1329611226_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian

:thumbup: Great stuff mate, superbly written, had me on the edge of my seat.

Top time away for all of you, some great shots too... :biggrin2:

Thanks Ray,

Chappo and I are getting warmed up for some sydney king action. Maybe one day we can get you and Hutch out at the same time.

Cheers, Brian.

Nice work, I was there on wednwsday diving at fish rock, the water was 19 under the thermo line and the kingy schools were massave, the vis was maybe 5 meters, the sharks were sticking to the rock, there were a few boats fishing and i wanted to be holding a rod after some of the kings i saw.

Hey Brian,

That was an incerdible report.

The detail, the imagery, the emotion and of course the results.

To catch sucha wide variety of fish, including some big marlin is something that fishos would sacrifice a lot to experience.

And to do all that amongst such good friends that work well as a tag team is something that is very rare.

Congratulations on the marlin achievements and the excellent captures of quality table fish.

Tony

Hey Brian,

For the record. I was the guy standing next you when you hooked up the Dollie at the FAD and it was a double hook up!

Great report mate. You captured the vibe of 3 days good fishing (well 2 actually). Lets do it again soon.

P.S We need to talk Sean into buying a decent standup harness!

Chappo

Hey Chappo and guys,

Nice work on the stickfaces, fighting those fish on stand-up 24kg without the proper harness can only ensure you're chiropractor will be in business for years to come.

I think I can feel a trip to SWR coming on next year.

Cheers,

Rabs.

Hi Rabs

Maaaate. SW Rocks rocks! I only had the 3 days but it always delivers. Having our mate Sean as our guide helped big time. With the water so green, it can really throw you off. I always get up there if you get up up there with my heart set on one particular type of species or style of fishing, but you cant always count on the conditions producing the fish you are after. We we were actually up there at a time when the spotted Mackeral are usually smahing live baits, but no such luck.. So the best approach is to go for enough days to try all the styles the place has to offer, estuary (fresh and salt - great bass up the back), bottom bouncing, live baiting, jigging, trolling. The place really has it all. Just hope it never changes!

Chappo

Hey Chappo and guys,

Nice work on the stickfaces, fighting those fish on stand-up 24kg without the proper harness can only ensure you're chiropractor will be in business for years to come.

I think I can feel a trip to SWR coming on next year.

Cheers,

Rabs.