Botany Bay 19/2

quintrex480

Had the king bug from last week and we wanted to see if we could get onto them again today. Headed out in the same 2 boat convoy with Formosan. First up was the squid grounds, Formosan's boat was on 5 squid and we were on a big fat zero in the first hour after countless drops and touches, I was starting to get the sh!ts big time!!! :ranting2: . But soon enough we were onto them and had a tank full before 8:30, one last cast produced a very nice size squid with the hood measuring close to 40cm!! which by the way squirted about 1 litre of ink on me, luckily I was wearing a black shirt :biggrin2:

Headed to the reef's outside of the bay and couldn't believe how calm it was, next to no swell, no wind... thinking this is going to be an awesome day! got to the reefs and there were half a dozen boats out there already, so it was a good sign. Whacked out the squid, and on the second pass produced a 92cm specimen, but sheesh it fought like a hoodie, couple of passes later produced and 88cm and then a 75. It then went all quiet by around 11, we were still marking up some big arches but were holding very deep, tried a quick drift, whilst we got onto 2 of them, they spat the hook. Can't wait to do it all again next week :thumbup:

post-16665-037209800 1329649686_thumb.jpg

post-16665-035900500 1329649714_thumb.jpg

post-16665-079824600 1329649725_thumb.jpg

Leave some for the rest of us ! Go back to your bream fishing !! :1fishing1:

I used my high powered pc and unscrambled all your picture... i know exactly where you are!!! :biggrin2:

Well done buddy on some very nice looking fish!

Trung

Edited by dhype

Were u out today? Or is the boat still out of action? Trust me, there are plenty of kings out there, by the bust offs I was seeing happenig around me. Hahaha since u know exactly where i am, i trust i'll see u along side me next weekend :)

mate - i was goinig head out today but had to spend some time with the :wife:

happy wife, happy life they say!

" Or is the boat still out of action?" >> not out of action it was just out of fuel last week! Stupid Lowarance Fuel sender was not calibrated and said i had 20L of fuel left when i had jack! :ranting2: Lucky someone gave me a tow back to the ramp.

I thought it was odd that i did not have to fill up the boat after a month of constant use!!! hahahaha never again!

I'll wait for you at the ramp next week! :1prop:

Trung

Nice fish boys looks like a awsome day. Going out on Thursday hopefully won't be to many boats out there. You wanna give up any good spots that's would be nice lol

Going out on Sunday might see you out there

Catch ya later

Luke/ aero

Heya Luke, forecast for Thursday looks awesome right now!!! HINT: Don't waste your time inside the bay, head outside :biggrin2:

great catch, can't even imagine pulling one of those in on my yak.

one day....... :)

Heya cj, would be doable in a yak but you would need to work those arms/legs pretty quickly to get them out of the reefs, and then once you do, you would probably be towed around a little, but that would be awesome! I am hoping the kings come inside the bay, so I can go give them a go in my yak :biggrin2:

Nice fish boys looks like a awsome day. Going out on Thursday hopefully won't be to many boats out there. You wanna give up any good spots that's would be nice lol

Going out on Sunday might see you out there

Catch ya later

Luke/ aero

I might be able to head out early on Thursday as well. Let me know if any of you guys want to catch up.

Cheers,

Jeff

good effort on the kings!

I just love that second photo showing your busted pluggers!! Those kings must have pulled pretty hard to bust your thongs! :1prop:

Did you send the big squid down live? or keep it for strips or dinner?

Cheers

Tom

thanks Tom, hahahaha yeah that dam thong really did break in the middle of bringing one up :biggrin2: wasn't a good feeling back at the ramp, getting cuts on the bottom of my feet on the barnicles :ranting2:

nah, we had plenty of smaller size squid that day, so that big one along with my first ever cuttlefish (estimated to be over 1kg) went home for dinner, the :wife: was :yahoo: she loves them.

Sounds awesome mate, we trolled around the cliffs between kurnell and botany entrance several times and didnt even get a touch...

so decided to go for a drive out to the fads and got out there noticing the water temp was 24 degrees and could see the dollies swimming 20m under us,

yet they weren't hitting anything though only landing one decent one.

:thumbdown:

You never fail to impress mate!

Yep im heading to the bay tomorrow morning as well, looks like there will be a few of us! look out for the white 4.1 quintrex estuary angler

Edited by taleb87

Was that Botany Bay off Sydney or another Botany bay???..... Coz i went out there with 20 live yakkas on sunday and caught, bugger-all,,,the kinghys are very sporadic this year.....well for my fishing they are!!!

Was that Botany Bay off Sydney or another Botany bay???..... Coz i went out there with 20 live yakkas on sunday and caught, bugger-all,,,the kinghys are very sporadic this year.....well for my fishing they are!!!

Hey mate, yep u got the right bay :) the other boat out with us tried downrigging some yakkas the last couple of times without a touch. But as soon as you whack on a fresh whole squid. It get's hammered pretty much straight away, in regards to the kings being sporadic, that is true, but our last couple of outtings have been quite successful with 2 hoodies being landed in our first outting, so I think they are finally here albeit about 2 months late :). From my own experience, when the kings are firing they take the yakkas, even fresh prawns! But otherwise fresh squid will only do. Will definitely be giving them another go this weekend to see if we can tangle with them again.