17/2 Hairtail

eastwood1980

Hi guys, i don't really write reports etc but on Friday night i went fishing to barrenjoey head the calm side around 9pm to catch some tailors with a mate of mine.

Fished for around 2 hours, not a single bite...... i was like you serious?.... oh also we were using long shank hooks to catch the tailors.... i know suppose to be a ganged hook....

Baits: pillies cut into little blocks.

It was now 12am...... the current was moving to the left, suddenly my freinds glowstick was moving right slowly.... i was like... errrr mines going left why is yours moving right and no bite at all..... then he yanked it..... i was like..... wtf.... its a hairtail, length around 1.6m long.

So i put another glow stick near the bait and tried it again.... bang i am on.... and busted me off.......

At then end lost around 15 hairtails in front and ended up catching 2 only LOL...... didn't have the right gear for the hairtails...

Aren't hairtails suppose to come out in winter.... there are so much hairtails in barrenjoeys head right now... maybe they are moving in now slowly?

Both hairtails were around 1.6-1.7m pretty big i have to say.

Hey Eastwood.

I can comfirm that no they are not just a winter species.

It just happens that for the last 20 odd years they have been mainly reported/documented in the press in the colder months around the Sydney area.

Hence the misconception.

Classic is Cowan Ck at night followed by Bot Bay both day and night (but not of late) and Syd H off Clifton Gardens (but not of late). Stewy has a theory on this ie why they have been missing in numbers for the last 7-10 years and I agree with him. They are getting netted before they reach their destination, when they do its because a large weather system has interferred with normal systematic commercial trawling and hence they get through in smaller numbers.

Verfied documentation exists that they have been caught by anglers up and down the coast at all yearly times and even been caught as far north as townsville harbour in the middle of the summer.

It is interesting to note that if they are a colder water species that (as far as I know) they are not caught in our far southern waters.

They are a very very interesting prehistoric species of which very little is known. Great Teeth Hey!

Research however suspects that they sort of live around New Z and migrate between there and here. No evidance exists that they migrate here to soley spawn etc etc (ie like trout) as a species mating ritual, so why they would come here, that would take about 2 pages to explain.

Mate if they are here now go chase em they will be hanging around for a bitlonger, Oh and particularly on full moon nights contrary to some beliefs.

Chase the baitfish and you will find them.

Cheers and good luck.

Trapper Tom.

Hey any other fishraiders.

Just out of curiosity has anyone put a live bait down in the hole off Clifton Gardens/ deeper areas of Bot B or Even Newcaslte Harbour.

If they are in they Hawksbury they may very well be in these spots.

A suggestion for a try.

Cheers

Trapper Tom