Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished Lilli Pilli deep water this morning for 1 tailor of 35cm and a couple of little reddies nowhere near legal size. The tailor took a salted tailor strip. The fresh yellowtail strips, squid strips and pillies did not produce any decent bites. Waste of time really.

The water had plenty of colour in it from last weekend's rain, and at this time of year should be producing some fish, but not where I was.

Plenty of fish on the surface, frigates or bonito, plus a few bigger splashes along the main channel which I think were salmon. Lures did not get a hit, and I saw others spinning into the schools without any luck.

Pumped some nippers and drifted the Lilli Pilli flats for a 44cm trevally. Nothing else, did not even see any whiting swimming about.

Headed back to the flats near Mainbar and pulled out 4 whiting, biggest was 36cm, but the bites were some time apart.

Yowie.

Edited by yowie

Fished down near the start of the 8 knot zone at Grays point last night, Tailor were everywhere, couldnt keep a bait out for anything else without it getting mauled by them. Must have spun up and released about 30 before I got tired of it.

Fished down near the start of the 8 knot zone at Grays point last night, Tailor were everywhere, couldnt keep a bait out for anything else without it getting mauled by them. Must have spun up and released about 30 before I got tired of it.

Were they of legal size?

I was at a mate's house early on Saturday night looking towards that area and I saw what looked like tailor splashing about. A boat was fishing near them then a f*#*wit on a jetski motored straight through them and that was the end.

While I was drifting the Lilli Pilli flats today, a water skier was towed past the baths and into the 8 knot zone, at high speed, and someone in the boat threw something at the fishermen on the wharf. Not close enough to see the rego.

Were they of legal size?

I was at a mate's house early on Saturday night looking towards that area and I saw what looked like tailor splashing about. A boat was fishing near them then a f*#*wit on a jetski motored straight through them and that was the end.

While I was drifting the Lilli Pilli flats today, a water skier was towed past the baths and into the 8 knot zone, at high speed, and someone in the boat threw something at the fishermen on the wharf. Not close enough to see the rego.

"

They ranged from 4 inches to more than legal....might just head out there now and see whats around, will let you know later!!

Guest Aussie007

we fished lilly pilly about 3-4 days ago spinning caught around 30 tailors bought 3 home for bait it was 50/50 on legal size some up to 33cm some smaller around 24cm we fished there again yesterday afternoon for nothing

Guest Aussie007

Any kings about goin to the hacking tommorow round lunch

a few guys in kayaks have been catching bonito,kings,jews i donno where abouts in the hacking the water looks dirty in the videos

a few guys in kayaks have been catching bonito,kings,jews i donno where abouts in the hacking the water looks dirty in the videos

The first one is just the northern side of Great Turriell Bay, and the second is near the end of Gannon's Bay. Both in the same general area.

I've seen these guys out before, always wondered if they caught anything!

Any kings about goin to the hacking tommorow round lunch

We didn't find any kings yesterday. Around ship rock had bonito but they were taking very small baitfish and wouldn't be enticed by anything we threw at them. Only got one fish on a transperent flick bait after about 50 casts at them. Despite them smashing the surface continuously within centimetres from the boat.

Fished the arm for 2 salmon 3lb and 6lb and a few tailor around the 50cm mark on slices fished deeper. Very exciting to watch them smashing baitfish into the shore and see them shower everywhere.

Fished Gymea baths for a few small reddies on nippers.

Can't help but notice the size of these nippers are much smaller than I used to remember. Am I just looking in the wrong place?

We didn't find any kings yesterday. Around ship rock had bonito but they were taking very small baitfish and wouldn't be enticed by anything we threw at them. Only got one fish on a transperent flick bait after about 50 casts at them. Despite them smashing the surface continuously within centimetres from the boat.

Fished the arm for 2 salmon 3lb and 6lb and a few tailor around the 50cm mark on slices fished deeper. Very exciting to watch them smashing baitfish into the shore and see them shower everywhere.

Can't help but notice the size of these nippers are much smaller than I used to remember. Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Not too bad, you managed a few fish.

Mainbar has some larger nippers, but there are plenty of small one there as well. Shows that they are breeding well.

A couple of years ago, one of the greenie dropkicks at Sutherland Shire Council proposed an idea that the taking of nippers be banned at Mainbar, as is the case in Gunnamatta Bay. Fortunately the idea has been dropped so far. Where else can you find them in such large numbers? I've pumped them out of there for many years, and the numbers are still high. You only need 30 or 40 nippers to catch a feed of fish.

Yowie.

Not too bad, you managed a few fish.

Mainbar has some larger nippers, but there are plenty of small one there as well. Shows that they are breeding well.

A couple of years ago, one of the greenie dropkicks at Sutherland Shire Council proposed an idea that the taking of nippers be banned at Mainbar, as is the case in Gunnamatta Bay. Fortunately the idea has been dropped so far. Where else can you find them in such large numbers? I've pumped them out of there for many years, and the numbers are still high. You only need 30 or 40 nippers to catch a feed of fish.

Yowie.

Having said that, I've seen guys who are obviously pumping them for commercial sale - a dozen 25 litre buckets each half full of nippers and two guys in the boat. I think that's a little more that 100 each for the bag limit. If I'd had my wits about me, I'd have got their registration, but they obviously weren't in the mood to stick around at Wally's Wharf to chat while I try and memorise their rego. Give them a wave if you see them - two guys in a blue 6m runabout.

Having said that, I've seen guys who are obviously pumping them for commercial sale - a dozen 25 litre buckets each half full of nippers and two guys in the boat. I think that's a little more that 100 each for the bag limit. If I'd had my wits about me, I'd have got their registration, but they obviously weren't in the mood to stick around at Wally's Wharf to chat while I try and memorise their rego. Give them a wave if you see them - two guys in a blue 6m runabout.

I pumped some nippers last week and saw 2 blokes in a small off-white tinny (no rego on boat) pumping as well. I headed off to fish and on passing them about 2 hours later, they were still pumping in water almost up to their waists. They packed up and headed up Fishermans Bay at high speed. The only face I saw of those 2 was a scruffy looking bastard with a beard.

The first one is just the northern side of Great Turriell Bay, and the second is near the end of Gannon's Bay. Both in the same general area.

I've seen these guys out before, always wondered if they caught anything!

Lol I had to double look, they are my mates, one of them is also a fish raider.

Fished Lilli Pilli deep water this morning for 1 tailor of 35cm and a couple of little reddies nowhere near legal size. The tailor took a salted tailor strip. The fresh yellowtail strips, squid strips and pillies did not produce any decent bites. Waste of time really.

The water had plenty of colour in it from last weekend's rain, and at this time of year should be producing some fish, but not where I was.

Plenty of fish on the surface, frigates or bonito, plus a few bigger splashes along the main channel which I think were salmon. Lures did not get a hit, and I saw others spinning into the schools without any luck.

Pumped some nippers and drifted the Lilli Pilli flats for a 44cm trevally. Nothing else, did not even see any whiting swimming about.

Headed back to the flats near Mainbar and pulled out 4 whiting, biggest was 36cm, but the bites were some time apart.

Yowie.

i havnt seen a whiting in the hacking all summer

i havnt seen a whiting in the hacking all summer

The whiting are there, but the ones that were around Lilli Pilli have gone quiet in the last few weeks. I have caught them at Mainbar flats and Gunnamatta flats recently, and I would assume they are still around Grays Point, though I have not fished that area since last winter.

The whiting are there, but the ones that were around Lilli Pilli have gone quiet in the last few weeks. I have caught them at Mainbar flats and Gunnamatta flats recently, and I would assume they are still around Grays Point, though I have not fished that area since last winter.

Have had no problems at all with the whiting around the Grays Point flats, nippers work, buy some live worms and you are almost guaranteed.

Edited by mako2000