Live squid is great bait

Benzeenees

Well, at last we had it all worked out! Up at 5am, on the water before 6am. Round to the squid spot - no yellowtail for us this time. Caught 4 nice southern calamari of between 500g and 1kg - into the live bait tank with them. The b%ggers kept putting their testicles into the overflow and blocking it - so the tank overflowed with ink stained water. But that didn't slow us down. Perfect conditions so we headed for the kingie reef at 45 kph. There were 3 other boats there, but that was no problem. Squid onto the rigs and down into 40m with kingies showing on the sounder. We could even see our lines going down.

So we sat back to wait for the action :1fishing1: . While we waited we were amused to see that one of the other boats had hooked a seal! Then the seal spat the hooks. Then the seal headed for us! Then the seal dived down and my line went loose! The the seal emerged with my squid in its mouth and a big grin on its fat face :ranting2: . Down again he went and scoffed half of John's squid.

What to do now :huh: ??? No point in feeding him our last 2 squid. So we decamped for another spot where we caught nothing!!!

Seals eating the squid of your line ?

Man...that would drive me crazy.

I hate seals with a passion but where there are losts of fish schooled up, there will be a seal there at some point.

If it didn't eat the squid, it would have eaten the kingie off your line when the fish is beaten and near the boat.

Where are the sharks when you need them.

Or perhaps polar bears or eskimos or something....

Perhaps you can feed the seal an exploding squid ?

Yeah right - you see a seal, you leave - save yourself the aggravation...

..and the squid...

Tony

We headed out to the FAD - 17km out. No action. One of the other boats from the kingie spot also turned up. After a while we headed back in and caught 2 more squid. Along with our one surviving squid these made a nice load of salt and pepper calamari. My next report will prob be about squid as we seem to have found a nice place for catching them. Got to look at things positively.

hey mate

sounds like you have got the squid sorted. :thumbup:

im still struggling myself. I pick up a couple of small ones now and then but not really enough for a feed or kingie bait. :mad3: but it beats working and half the fun is getting out there and giving it a go, the other is the half is :beersmile: at the end of the day trying to figure out where it all went wrong or right

well done mate

Went out to the fads couple of weeks ago myself managed about 10 undersized dollies nothing to brag about though still good fun on light gear.

Hey Benze, would love if you could give us some pointers on some squid grounds, I'm not much of a squid fisho but been trying to get into it lately with no success, I'm a newbie to this site but have been a long time admirer, any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Rob

I'm fishing in the Mossy Point - Moruya Heads area so it's unlikely any of my spots would be good for guys from Sydney. But the spot we are catching them in is broken rock/weed/sand in between 3m and 6m of water. We have been using 3g and 3.5g jigs including the $4 Hawk jigs. The standard advice, if you're fishing from a boat, is to cast in the direction of the drift, but we have had more success doing the reverse! And even just dropping the jigs over the side and moving them up and down. Sometimes you can see a squid coming up out of the weed to grab the jig. We've been using a fairly gentle action.

Try getting on Google Earth and looking for weedy areas around headlands - they'll show up darker than the sand further out. But remember we are just beginners too.

I noticed that member dhype caught a bunch of squid near South Head (of the Harbour?) about a week ago. The eastern side of South Head and Watson's Bay looks interesting on Google Earth.

No, he was in Botany Bay. So have a look with Google Earth.

Edited by Benzeenees

I hear your pain, had the same with a cormorant the other day. Pulled up stumps and went to the next spot.

Cheers

Don't talk to me about cormorants! Last January I put 200 trout (I mean cormorant snacks) in my dam. I think there's one left. Maybe.