Thompson Creek Dam

dean

I had the pleasure of spending a day fishing with Stewy up at TCD yesterday. We had an early start and after a quick stop for a wholesome Maccas breakfast we were on our way. The forecast was for rain all day but when we arrived the conditions were perfect - it was overcast but the temperature was mild and not a breath of wind. This was my first trip to the dam, so I had no idea what to expect.. I had always heard fishing the dam was tough going but Stewy assured me that sometimes it produced sensational fishing, so I remained hopeful!

The start of a days fishing.

post-6684-006189200 1330597472_thumb.jpg

post-6684-001273900 1330597500_thumb.jpg

The dam must be full of mudeyes, the only thing I caught after 8 hours of fishing

post-6684-041108600 1330597492_thumb.jpg

My hopes were starting to fade however as the dam lived up to it's reputation. Stewy and I were pulling out all the stops without even so much as a follow. After 8 hours on the job, we had not even sighted a fish let alone caught one. At least the rain had held off so far. As we fished our way back towards the car, we bumped into Caddis who was having as much luck as we were. After a quick chat we pushed on and it was at this point things started to change. As the weather closed in and mist began rolling in over the dam, I noticed a fish rising in a shallow bay and quickly cast my plastic once I was in range..finally I was on! After a brief fight, my first TCD trout was on the bank and after a photo was quickly released.

post-6684-061716100 1330597509_thumb.jpg

post-6684-074717300 1330597517_thumb.jpg

A short time later it started to pour with rain - just as the fish were starting to bite! 15 minutes later I had my second fish - another nice rainbow.

post-6684-049136200 1330597528_thumb.jpg

We continued fishing in the rain for a while but with no more hits we decided to call it quits and head home.

Thanks Stewy for a great day.

Cheers,

Dean

Congrats Dean on catching a couple of cracker rainbows on your outing at Thompspns Creek Dam.

It can be tough going, but persistence pays off. I'm really happy you didn't give up!

There are some awesome fish in there mate, and I'm sure if you head back some time you'll catch more of the mighty Thommo's trout!

both fish look in great condition,

well done on persisting and scoring a couple of nice fish mate.

and yes its good to see the ranger making sure everyones playing by the rules, gee theres alot of rules there hehe,

definately a great place to fish, hoping to get up on there on the weekend myself.

anyway well done on the rainbows mate,

70 mm Squidgy fish in Black Gold or Gary Glitter have worked for me there on the past. Dying the tails pink might help. Have landed both rainbows and browns to about 2 kg on them. Have not been up there for a couple of years - must do something about that!

Kel

Man that first fish is such a handsome specimen! Perfect proportions. Good stuff Dwag!

SHould check out some of the nearby river heights. Turon going wild, up three metres in a few hours, down a bit then up again. And more rain for the area today and tomorrow!

TCD experts will the dam go up???

Oops forgot to add second fish rather handsome too!!!!!

Depends how much the Water goes up at Lyall and Wallace from the Coxes and if they pump any in up there it will rise a little from natraul runoff though! The Turon will fish well whe nshe drops scoure all the nymph life out an the fish will come out of the holding water when it drops! I am also expecting to see some rainbows appear in the Warragamba and possibly the lower Grose this winter when the rivers settle and the Dilly should fire now Warragamba is up high enough for them to run it!!!!! May see the long awaited Dilly spawning runs of which I heard a legendary!

Thanks for all the comments, It certainly was a tough day and if I wasn't fishing with stewy I probably would have given up long before the fish were caught.

I'm looking forward to the next couple of months, with the current river levels it could only be good for the fish. When the river level settles a little i'll be the first one down there trying for a trout in the Nepean.

Matt imagine the amount of water coming down Kanangra.

Cheers, Dean