Brown Trout Heaven at TCD

I set out to Thompson's Creek Dam yesterday with hope that it would be a day to remember. I was not let down.

I was meeting Hooked Up aka Lee there at around 6am for a day's fishing, concentrating on the fly rod, to see if we could tempt the mighty trout into submission.

I arrived at Macca's at around 5:30am, had some brekky trying not to think about the consistent rain. Due to it still being dark, I began to set up my fly rod in the car park, as there was some light coming from inside Macca's.

Lee pulled up whilst I was setting up my gear, so we collected our thoughts then made our way up to TCD!

The rain was light but none stop, so we donned the waterproof gear, and began the infamous walk up to the dam wall.

We were both very keen, and thought that the weather would work in our favour.

We made it up to the South Eastern bank and began fishing. The setup we were both using was a tandem dry fly/nymph rig, using the dry fly as our indicator.

We both opted for just the one point fly, green being the colour of choice.

Lee being new to fly fishing, yesterday in fact being his first crack at taming the mighty trout on the fly rod, was casting with great skill. I was very impressed with how well he was doing, especially considering he only purchased his gear weeks earlier.

My hat goes off to you Lee; you've certainly picked up the fundamentals of casting well, which is half the battle.

After two or three hours of fishing with not a touch on either of our flies, we began to work our way up around the bank, trying the various bays along the way.

We spotted a small bait fish kicking on the surface, so we scooped it up in the net for a closer look.

post-21553-099614400 1330850341_thumb.jpg

Any ideas what it is? My thoughts a gudgeon???

We persisted on, with possibly a missed take each (hard to say as we were fishing the shallow bays, pretty much skipping our nymphs along the bottom).

We walked further round, up past a couple of fisherman that arrived minutes earlier.

Just as we were passing them, whilst they were setting up their fly rods, I somehow spotted a very large Brownie cruising literally a metre out in a shallow bay on the hunt for food!

With great excitement I calmly (lol) got Lee's attention and said have a look at this, get a cast onto it.

Hooked Up was in awe, as was I with the size of it, being at least 6-8lb.

Lee got a small cast in, just behind the beauty. She turned and gave a half interested glance, then continued on her way!

I quickly said have another cast just up behind her, hoping this time she would hear the plop of the fly.

As if in slow motion, Lee's cast was right on the money. This time she made a complete 180, and somehow honed in right on Lee's nymph as it made its way to the bottom.

With a swift kick of her tail, she was in assault mode and proceeded to engulf Lee's offering!

The dry fly indicator went under!!! The excitement however got the better of us.

As calmly as I could, I shouted strike (lol) but unfortunately before Lee could react she had spat the fly and swam off!

To say we were both gutted is an understatement!

We were both in disbelief at what just happened, yet we both were I think overwhelmed at what an amazing privilege we had just experienced.

On the one hand I was really gutted that Lee didn't connect with what would have been an amazing first trout on the fly rod, yet it was just an awesome thing to have been a part of.

Considering the conditions, spotting the fish was a miracle, then to have witnessed at close range (1-2 metres away) the fish of a lifetime pounce on its prey and to just get a real feel for how trout, especially the big predatory Browns feed. It is an experience I know neither Lee nor I will forget.

We tried to focus on the positive which wasn't easy. We soon however got back to fishing, trying to shrug off the disappointment along the way.

We couldn't however stop talking about what just happened!

We carried on like wounded men, our morale knocked for six, yet somehow we continued to fish. Cast after cast, watching our dries like hawks as the rain and the wind pelted us, the kookaburras in the background mocking us with their laughter!

Lee continued to impress me with his casting; the wind and the rain didn't stop his form.

He really needed very little correction with his technique; to be honest I've not seen anyone pick up casting that quickly!

We spotted a rise far out, I had a crack and managed to get a cast within range.

Within seconds the dry went under, I struck but missed it!

It was turning out to be one of those days, which really does sort the men from the boys.

We never gave up, however the fish were just not responding.

We tried a few different fly patterns, even gave the neglected spin rods a few casts, yet it was all to no avail.

We had now by this time made our way round to the other side of the hill known by some as snake country.

We had fished well, many a fisherman would have walked away, yet we carried on.

It was great for me to have the company of a fellow fisherman, as I normally fish alone.

Lee was really getting into fly fishing, commenting frequently that he was enjoying it a lot.

After some lunch, we made our way to the last spot before the point of no return; either continue on all the way round the dam, or make our way back to where we had started.

The bank had a couple of accessible spots to cast in a fly line, yet the water's edge was lined with submerged trees.

I knew that if we did in fact hook up, the fight could get hairy!

We both managed to cast in and around the trees on the bank; we even tried the spin rods for a bit, but ended up back on the fly rods.

There were no fish moving so we were fishing blind, hoping that the fish would see our offerings and submit to their natural instinct to feed.

The spot we were fishing looked perfect, a slight ripple, overcast; to us the conditions were ticking all the right boxes.

I managed to get a good cast out; I took up the slack of the fly line, and watched my dry fly.

Within moments my dry went under, I struck and was on!

Finally after 8 hours or so of fishing, we had a fish on!

The trout had taken the fly shortly after my cast hit the water, so there was a fair bit of line out. The fish stayed down, not breaking the surface which made me think it was a Brownie.

After some violent headshakes, the fish careered out of the water, almost somersaulting itself completely to try and shake the hook!

By this time Lee was by my side, excited that we had finally hooked up.

It was a good fish, and it wasn't long before Lee got a look at it. He confirmed that it was in fact a good sized good Brownie.

The fish headed for the submerged trees to the left of me, and after losing a big Rainbow a month or so earlier in similar circumstances, I was not going to let this fish take me into the trees.

I applied as much side strain as I could, managing to turn the fish. She began to make her way out away from the bank into deeper water. It was a relief to have gotten her away from the potential threat, yet by no means was the battle won.

My heart was in my mouth, after the day we'd had, I did not want this one to get off!

I managed to get the fish within range of the net, Lee was ready to scoop up our reward, yet the fish was having none of it.

At one point just after the fish was hooked, I had it on the reel, yet it decided to swim straight at me so I had no choice but to strip in the line by hand.

I actually prefer playing the fish through my hand as you feel more connected with the fish, and can feel every movement through your fingertips.

The fish now decided to head to the right of me, straight for the submerged trees there!

Fortunately she headed just in front of the trees; however I had to act quickly, and made my way up the bank to the other side of the trees, lifting my line over them as I went past.

Lee was quick to pick up my fly line off the ground, and ran up past the trees with me! Phew, thanks mate, we made it.

Lee was ready with the net, yet every time we had the beauty in range, she bolted out.

I was pretty nervous by this time hoping that the fly held its own, and didn't pull free.

Finally after what must have been 4 or 5 attempts to draw her over the net, it was over, success!

What a fish, not quite as big as the ripper earlier, yet a fine pristine Hen Brown Trout. She was solid too, I've not actually seen a Brownie this solid.

I grabbed my recently purchased brag mat, and got a photo. It was a rare treat to have someone with me to get an actual photo with the fish, so that was tops! Cheers Lee!

post-21553-042649700 1330850558_thumb.jpg

post-21553-033018500 1330850594_thumb.jpg

After weighing the fish, admiring her beauty, we revived her in the water. We got one last look close up before she kicked to let us know she was ready. As I held on for one more kick, it was a good feeling to see her ready to go. As I watched her swim off, I thought the day had been pretty special to say the least. A fish like that makes it all worthwhile. She came in at 57cm and weighed 5.5lb

After what would have been a near perfect day, a large Brown Trout a piece, a first for Lee on the fly rod, probably a record fish, we walked away with our heads held high!

Lee now I'm sure hooked on the fly rod commented on what a great day it had been. I agree mate, it was hard yakka but we didn't give up.

Until the next time we make the trip to TCD, which looks like will be next week lol, we had a lot to think on.

With the images of that earlier ripper Brown etched in our minds, I know will keep us focused ready for the next time, with the hope in our hearts that the mighty Brown Trout will grace us with its presence.

Edited by foolforjesus

well, what a day it was yesterday!

conditions were very hmmmmm testing lets say hehe, dont think it stopped raining for more than 30mins combined for the day (seemed really fishy)

great report of yestedays events mate,

im re-living that moment that big brown was feeding right up on the bank for the 748th time since seeing it,

casting that fly for the second time watching and hearing it gently plop a metre or so to the right of the brown then seeing him quickly turn 90 degrees and charge toward my nymph and take it,

was just a wonderful thing to see and such a shame that the hooks didnt stick (my fault too slow on the strike literally had a fraction of a second) and hes let it go and blasted off towards the depths leaving me a shaking mess hahaha,

definately got the blood pumping and great job spotting that fish i cant beleive we didnt spook this fish as like Chris said we were 1-2mtrs away it must have really been in an active feeding mood to not even notice us so close it was really amazing to be see let alone get a cast on it.

looked easily 70cm, great TCD brown,

to watch you hook up to the brown around the back of the lake was excellent and there was some real nail biting times during the fight especially after he did his arial backflip haha and headed along the bank to the submerged trees, you done a good job getting your line over the top of that tree cause he wasnt stopping for anyone,

finally got her in the net after a stubborn fight and i was shocked to feel the weight of this lovely fish really fat and heavy for her length, and the biggest brown ive seen in person was landed,

good seeing her swim off strongly into the depths,

top day Chris and thanks for sharing your tips and techniques with me on fishing the lake,

ahhhhh another week of dreaming before another round.

thanks for the compliments on my casting too, i am really enjoying the fly rod now im getting the hang of it,

still have alot of work to do though before i can fire out an 80 foot cast to a distant rise like you did with that missed hookup yesterday,

bad luck on that one mate very close.

Lol, 748th time!

No worries mate, it's become clear to me that I really need to get a comprehensive understanding of the trouts feeding habits, and there behavior during the different weather conditions.

There really is a lot to learn if you want to improve your chances of tempting the mighty trout.

It was a great day mate, cheers for the company, and it was great to see you enjoying yourself.

Like I said, you looked great fishing, well done for a top effort mate.

You really did only have a split second window with that fish, and you know nine time out of ten, the fish would have hooked itself.

It's all experience mate, and I'm confident that you'll hook a beauty next time.

Great report, nice brown. Well done.

Bet Lee can't wait to get back there for round 2.

Cheers, Dean

haha definately cant wait to get back for another go, they are such a beautiful fish theres something special about them thats for sure.

Top report boys and great fish to finish off with..well done to you both.

Its all about the experience ...good times ..mates and big fish = YEH THATS WHAT I AM TALKIN ABOUT :yahoo:

Cheers Stewy

exactly Stewy let the good times roll, happy days.

Lol, 748th time!

No worries mate, it's become clear to me that I really need to get a comprehensive understanding of the trouts feeding habits, and there behavior during the different weather conditions.

There really is a lot to learn if you want to improve your chances of tempting the mighty trout.

It was a great day mate, cheers for the company, and it was great to see you enjoying yourself.

Like I said, you looked great fishing, well done for a top effort mate.

You really did only have a split second window with that fish, and you know nine time out of ten, the fish would have hooked itself.

It's all experience mate, and I'm confident that you'll hook a beauty next time.

well mate once you figure the details out i think these tcd trout are going to be in trouble haha,

wel never stop learning mate its always a challenge,

i t was a great day and its good to find another fisho whos keeeeeen as,

it was defianately an experience i wont forget in a hurry and i have learnt from it too (gotta be quick, and scan the edges ahead as your walking the banks),

wel just have to go back and try again lol,

like i said it was a pleaseure and thanks again for a great day,

cheers Lee.