Going to Merry Beach any help please?

garryl

Hi all, I'm heading down to Merry Beach at Easter with a truck load of people from the neighborhood, planning on taking the boat down as well to get in a bit of fishing. With any luck the weather will ease up by then1badmood.gifI've checked out the boat ramp at Kioloa on Google and had a look around. None of the people I'm going down with are into fishing and I've never been down there before. I'm hoping to pick up a few tips before i head down. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Garry

Garry what size boat are you taking and what is your tow vehicle.

The kioloa boat ramp can get very tricky as it is exposed directly to the sea with a little break wall. To launch/retrieve a boat from it you could do with an extended draw-bar.

When I was on holidays down there I used to tow the boat to either Ulladulla or Batemans Bay as I did not like to idea of putting my boat in at Kioloa. My tow vehicle is a holden ute and the boat a 17' fibreglass.

Some good fishing if yu can get your boat in. Be careful of the marine park around Brush Island.

Thanks Guys,

BFB, I'm taking down a 530 Freedom Sport towed by a Ford Territory (2WD). Thanks for the heads up. On Google Maps it looked like concrete all the way down, but then, come to think of i,t one of the cars in the car park at that time was a tractor! There were a few "normal"cars in the shot so I assumed it would have been OK for a car. Will make sure I check it out and have a backup plan. I'm pretty gutless so if there was a swell, or predicted swell, I wouldn't try it. I could see that it's not a 100% protected harbor. Also thanks for the Marine Park stuff. I'll have to go and do a bit more searching on that as I didn't realise it. I know there are parks around Nelson Bay, but didn't know about down South. Will start a bit of a search

rads, I found your earlier post with some markers in it, I really appreciate it as lots of people won't be that open with their tips! One question, though, is how are the co-ordinates arranged? I'm still working out my sounder/plotter a bit, but it has the display in dd mm.mmm. I know some people reference in straight decimal dd.ddddd and there are other formats? Anyway I'll have a play and plug some way points into the NAVMAN. It's still fun to sit in the boat on the driveway playing with the NAVMAN, the neighbors think I'm nuts.

Garry