Buying A Used Boat

ehor

A haines signature badge down the side. :1prop:

Every little detail has to be checked!

Check transom very carefully for any cracks, fractures, previous drill holes, bubling gelcoat.

Inspect keel, most glass boats will have some sort of damage on them normally remember that scrathces on glass are no big deal at all and are very easy to fix, as long as they do not pose a structural problem.

Get in the boat and see what the floor is made of. Bounce around on all areas of the floor to try and find any soft spots. Depending on how the floor is laid down - this can be an easy of difficult repair.

I like wide gunwhales as it allows you to fit flush mounted rod holders at different angles for trolling. Inspect windscreens and all seals around cabin area for leaks.

Have a close look at how all the wiring is done, dual batteries are a good idea if you plan on overnighting (which I bet you are).

With the trailer give everything a good visual inspection to find any areas of rust or corossion. If the trailer frame is suffering then you could be up for a big job, but other items like brakes axles etc... can all be replaced so factor in those costs.

Fire up the outboard after to have given it a visual inspection for any bits of corrosion (what's the anode looking like?), rust spots, traces of leaked oil. Look under the cowl and check out a number of the main nuts and bolts and see if they look like they have been removed recently to do any major work. Once the outboard is running, it should be pissing out strongly. If it doesn't don't fret! it could mean a replacement impeller which is no huge deal or maybe their hose has crap pressure. But they are your best case scenarios, best off getting a mechanic to have a look if you come up with any issues.

there is probably a lot more, but I'm sure others will jump in to add their bits.

Thats a pretty good sum up.....

Like I would with a car, try and get it started from cold.. A warmed up engine is easier to start, and it can hide some starting problems

Check the control cables.. These needed replacing after a short while on mine... (not a problem as I replaced the engine.)

If the engine looks in good condition and well looked after, chances are the boat has been well looked after...

Guest MarkD

As the lads have mentioned a pre-inspection is a worthwhile investment of less than a couple of hundred bucks. There is a few to choose from and in fact I think if you have a search in the boating section there was a similar post to yours some time ago.

Good luck, you cant beat that looking for a new (to you) boat feeling!!

If I was you have a look around the yards find the brand or style you like jump up get a feel of the difference behind the wheel

Take a crap load of details of compering new prices to 2nd hand and see what its worth

Then check out the Trading post and boat point as you have done but remmember no warranty from the paper so weigh it up

Finally if its a new girl hit the boat show next month and haggle your arse off :1fishing1::1fishing1:

bang, bang, bang . . . What I can't hear you??!!!

Aluminium!

Just kidding mate. I hope you find the right boat for you.

55656[/snapback]

HAHAHAHAHA

I'm just scared I'll crack open a glass boat! :1yikes:

ehor, you would have to push a glass boat pretty hard to split one in two. Glass boats do not crack, crap glass boats do! Glass boats absorb the impact so the chances of them breaking is a lot less than a tin boat. Alloy boat owners are always getting cracks welded on their hulls, the welds are the weakpoints! I reckon the general debate about alloy boats being more durable is completely flawed, there are good and bad alloy boats just like glass. :thumbup:

Great advice so far.Just to add a bit.

Be wary of buying private where no service history can be produced for the engine.

If you purchase from a dealer get a warranty and check the log books too.

Dont buy someone elses trouble, take your time and check things thoroughly as described.

Have fun :biggrin2:

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think I'll go to a few dealers, hop in a few boats (both glass and alu) to see what I like.

Just need to sell the skyline first :1naughty:

Edited by ehor

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think I'll go to a few dealers, hope in a few boats (both glass and alu) to see what I like.

Just need to sell the skyline first  :1naughty:

55962[/snapback]

What sort of skyline is it? I'm getting my rav and need a replacement!

Guest Jocool
What sort of skyline is it?  I'm getting my rav and need a replacement!

56047[/snapback]

You could always buy my Rodeo! :risata:

You'd have to offer me a big discount because I would have to remove that bonnet and the shopping trolley handle at the back. :1prop: Joe I've been looking at the fronteras as a possible 4wd so not too far off. :biggrin2:

Guest Jocool
Joe I've been looking at the fronteras as a possible 4wd so not too far off. :biggrin2:

56108[/snapback]

At least the ute would also be a good tax encentive with you being a builder and all! :thumbup: