General rod and reel

Swaz

I would like a rod and reel combo as a do it all type thing. Mainly boat fishing for flatheads, squid, yakkas and smileys and I would like* to chase some Bonito and the like.

Got a $39 ***** job at the moment. It's ok. Would prefer under the $100 mark.

What are these 1000, 2000 etc ratings on reals?

Do I need a special rod for braid? I have heard braid can cut groves into guides.

Ball bearings, how many is good for my needs? I see some places written 4+1.

Do some brands have a. Better name than others. Also to put my fishing into context I still have the same Jarvis Walker reel I got given when I was about 12. And apart from some scratches it still performs as it did when it was new. So I am not an every weekend fisherman.

I would like a rod and reel combo as a do it all type thing. Mainly boat fishing for flatheads, squid, yakkas and smileys and I would like* to chase some Bonito and the like.

Got a $39 ***** job at the moment. It's ok. Would prefer under the $100 mark.

What are these 1000, 2000 etc ratings on reals?

Do I need a special rod for braid? I have heard braid can cut groves into guides.

Ball bearings, how many is good for my needs? I see some places written 4+1.

Do some brands have a. Better name than others. Also to put my fishing into context I still have the same Jarvis Walker reel I got given when I was about 12. And apart from some scratches it still performs as it did when it was new. So I am not an every weekend fisherman.

1000 and 2000 are the sizes of the reels smallest is 1000 and just ranges up to 20000.

A very good reel that u can get under 100 dollars is the shimano sienna and then the rods vary depending on the fish but your best bet would be a Shimano siena and a shimano catana im pretty sure catana can handle braid very good combo probably around the 100 - 120 dollar range. Many other combos though thats just my 2 cent.

Goodluck

Hi Swaz,

Check out Pure Fishing our site sponsors website, there's all the specs for good reels such as Pflueger & Abu. They also have combos available to suit your needs and all sorts of braid, mono and lures etc etc.

You can get some great quality gear that they supply but they only supply to businesses so you'll have to order it from a tackle store.

CLICK HERE FOR WEBSITE

Thanks guys. I guessed the 1000 was a smaller reel than a 4000 etc. But what exactly do the numbers mean? Or is it just something given to reel ranges to help customers?

Don't suppose they would supply to me given I have an ABN?

No they will not, they only deal with big stores and fishing tackle shops etc.

Didn't think they would. Will go check out some tackle stores this arvo. My local small one isnt very big.

Don't be afraid to part with $200 for an outfit that you actually want, if you maintain it it will serve you well for at least 3-4 years.

Do the maths, $200 over 4 years is under a dollar a week, which is not much.

I've gotta put a limit on it somewhere and it has to be around the $130 mark. The Shimano outfi t mentioned earlier seems to be good price wise. I have heard good deals can be had from overseas also so that's something I will be checking out.