Family fishing

Swaz

Dear fishraiders,

My old man bought a brand new Stacer Baymaster a few months ago which was a great excuse to get my license, go cruising, spend time with my dad and gets the kids into fishing and boating.

My kids are 3 and 22 months. Daughter (eldest) LOVES fish and is dead keen to go fishing. Watches ifish with me, reads fishing books (looks at photos) and my son is a boat fan. Wife is 50/50 on the whole thing.

Would appreciate some advice for those who have been there and done that. My current plan of getting my daughter to tell my wife she really wants to go fishing isn't baring fruit. My other thought was to take them all with the old man out off Terrigal boat ramp to get some yakkas and/or squid. Something that is almost a guaranteed catch to get them excited.

Suggestions welcome!

I was in the same shoes, actually still am! haha

My daughter though does not sound as keen as yours, you're so lucky!

Try some landbased areas, around jettys etc. They will definitely hold bait fish, put on some tiny hooks and the kids will love it. Duno about you, but my little one just keeps winding the reel! Then gets bored of it in 5 minutes. We need to bring along coloring books etc to keep her occupied!

Yep same for me, but once they get a decent fish on the light gear they should be "hooked"

This is the fish that got my son (5) keen a few mths ago, caught on a $22 ***** rod.65770f4e-bdb7-980e.jpg

As said by other the burly is the key, half the time he prefers throwing the chicken pellets that actually fishing

Good luck

Yep same for me, but once they get a decent fish on the light gear they should be "hooked"

This is the fish that got my son (5) keen a few mths ago, caught on a $22 ***** rod.65770f4e-bdb7-980e.jpg

As said by other the burly is the key, half the time he prefers throwing the chicken pellets that actually fishing

Good luck

Had a disaster today. Went off terrigal to get some yakkas. Dad did say the seas were up, didn't listen! Mrs HAD to have another coffee before we set off so we were 15 mins late and already pissed with each other. Got the boat in, after it hit the ramp and scratched the carp out of the hull. Mrs was sea sick 5 mins in and wanted to swim ashore (about 500mtrs off the beach) so dad suggested to just take a trip. Had to turn around coz the mrs was heaving! Boat ram was a p$&-k to put the boat back on.

Didn't even wet a line! Many lessons learned, the biggest one being leave the mrs at home next time!

Will hit Lake Mac or Bris water next time to avoid the swell. Thanks for the tips so far.

If you want to go fishing just take your dad

If you want quality family time and them wanting to come again forget about fishing yourself

Keep it short a few hours max

Stop on a beach for lunch let the kids run around have a pee etc

Plenty if water and plenty f shade children dehydrate faster then you do and sun knocks them round more

If anyone feels sleepy they are getting motion sickness

Take a radio or DVD player

Just fish for 20-30 mins the go zoom around one to two fishing sessions max in that few hours

Make it look like your having fun

Go with the expectations and no one will get upset

Or you go early have a fish then get them to meet you at the wharf and have a cruise round the river etc