Fishing Botany Bay 10.3.12

Fish Maniac

HI to all this is my first post after reading the reports for years I thought I would contribute some of my experiences.

I woke up yesterday at 5.30 a.m as I was itching to get out out on the water all week,I headed to macs bait bar to grab some prawns as I was predominately using lures all day but thought It wouldnt hurt to get some anyway.

Today I was fishing out of my Hobie Kayak.So I headed to taren point near the Captain cook bridge and launched the yak of the shore quickly peddled across to the old oyster leases around wolooware bay by this time the sun was poking over the horizon and shinning into my eyes it was a welcome site because it was quite cold.

I rigged a new metal vibe and cast it around the leases,after 10-15 minutes of casting I tried a soft plastic, half an hour later without a bite I started to think that I had to change tactics (bait) lucky i bought the prawns.So I rigged a peeled prawn on a small jighead and cast it under a pontoon (looked like a oyster work platform)I watched as the line started to get taught and thought you beauty I struck and the fish took off and started to peel line off I tried to pull it away as it was heading to the pylons but my 4lb line was no match it busted me off.

My heart was pounding as the adrenaline started to travel in my blood stream I quickly rigged up again but this time different rod and now I was using 10lb,I casted in the same spot waited 10 seconds ,It felt like a minute and bang ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ the rod goes off I strike and felt the weight of the fish its big really big its stripping line off like no tomorrow so I tighten the drag and start fighting the fish its taking the line away from the timber poles that make the up the oyster leases and im loving every minute of it im in the main channel as you come into the leases the fish is dragging the kayak around about 3 minutes later it starts to come up and I see what I thought I was going to see a massive bream I net it and measure it came to 41cm took a photo of it and then did the right thing and released it.

All up i caught 6 bream at the leases but they were all around 25 cm except for the massive 41 cm bream and they were all caught on peeled prawns.

The Bay was very brown and dirty thats why I released all the fish but I will be back with some more reports stay posted.