1st session w/soft plastics

pup1917

Hi everybody,

I usually fish at Kurnell but a broken alvey (aaarghhh!) kept me away today.

Rather than waste my time washing the car/paying bills etc etc I decided to head to a tiny

local reserve where a small stream runs into Geroges River on the southern side, just a bit west of Captain Cook bridge.

At low tide there are quite extensive sand flats there, often seen people digging bait/pumping nippers

and I've often thought - got to be fish there at some stage of the tide.

Abt high tide when I got there and quite a strong nor-easter. Water the colour of tea and quite warm.

Decided this was the time to chuck some SPs around.

Hardly ideal kit: 11 ft Bruce&Walker "avon style" rod - not exactly the most sensitive tip but plenty (too much!)

of power throughout the action, Shimano st 4000fa, 6 lb fluro strait through to a 100mm squidgy wriggler w/2grm

jig head.

Waded out and heaved the SP 20 meters - it was windy, honest. Did this quite a few times. Noticed some chopper tailor

swimming within arms reach and took heart from this.

Also noticed some small taps - like the SP was moving over some stones/gravel I thought, but maybe they were bites ?

On one of the retrieves there were a couple of taps and a bit of a rattle so I lifted the rod and hooked up into something

very solid. It was the classic "damn I'm snagged up" until the first head shake. I looked up at the rod and I could see that

the thing was almost in a hoop and knew that I was into a pretty decent fish.

It didn't last long. Like a fool with no hands I kept too much pressure on and, another schoolboy error, did not have

the clutch properly set. It gave a few metres of line then, bye-bye fish, hook pulled away. Gah !

What do you think, Fishraiders - Flathead ?

So, an interesting and enlightening 2 hours. I'm heading back for another session soon.