Cowan Creek Mulloway

rjc123

Hey raiders,

went out with a mate in cowan the other day (unprepared as i only had 1/2 hour notice...) fished with prawns and only managed a few bream, tailor and flathead. I'm sick of all these small fish, I WANT A JEWIE! I aim to fish in the cowan area with squid strips, mullet fillet and live yakkas. I have a few spots up my sleeve but could anyone please help me get that elusive fish! Any spots in cowan to get some yakkas would be great too!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mack attack 79

The water in cowan is v muddy at the moment... I drove through on Sunday and there is still a lot of murky fresh floating on the surface (and heaps of sticks etc in the water - be careful if you're driving at night!)

I've caught a jewie in the arm leading up to jerusalem bay, with loads of berley.

From time to time, there are heaps of chopper tailor there which will pick off your baits, so you might try a livie instead.

I've noticed that the sand flats in Jerusalem Bay are all very sensitive to the tide: good at the start of the run-up, but then the fish tend to follow the very edge of the rising water and so they become inaccessible except by foot or by kayak. Your motor will foul the sandflat, and get itself heartily fouled with sand if you try to drive over the flats even at high tide. The fish come flying off the flat at the turn of the high tide. so I'd guess that you might be in with a chance if you get there at the top of the tide and drop a livie down for the bigger hunters that must be there waiting for the exodus from the flats.

You can catch poddie mullet on the flats with lots of bread burley. (I'm not sure if you're allowed to trap them, but I suspect it would be easier than catching mullet).

That said, you can also try the traditional jewie spots: the bridges up the hawkesbury, and the drift from juno point to flint and steel. i tried the later on sunday, for a donut.

Thanks for that, I'm definitely thinking Jerusalem Bay now! I guess most of the channel markers in 10m+ of water wouldnt be bad either. I heard that around cottage point the water drops to over 30m. Would this be a likely Jew haunt?