Roseville Ramp TO BE CLOSED

gretsch

Dear Raiders,

Today, I noted a sign at the Garigal National Park Boat Ramp (aka Roseville Boat Ramp) that the ramp is to undergo upgrades and will be closed from the 10th April, 2012 until the 25th May, 2012. I add that I use the ramp at least twice a week between November and June.

Whilst the upgrades are certainly welcome and will help relieve pressure on busy days, the proposed construction period (10 April- 25 May) is one of the busiest times of the year at the ramp due to the peak of the warm water fishing season.

The closure of the ramp at this time will result is huge pressure upon Tunks Park Boat ramp and also Little Manly both of which are unable to cope with their current loads most of the time.

It would certainly be far more convenient to the boating community if this work was postponed until August when the activity on the water is at its lowest for the year.

I urge those of you who use the ramp to send your concerns to National Parks info@environment.nsw.gov.au.

It will be a disaster over the next few months otherwise.

Here is the sign:

post-3708-006419200 1332303250_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cephalopod

Hey Cephalopod.

Sorry to advise, but if that sort of sign is up the works are already contracted and locked in concrete.

Yes it is the typical Govt railroad thing.

Yes not good organisation, but locked in concrete it is.

Can't say much more than that, its a bugger.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

I don't know why they can't construct half at a time like they did at Tunks.

because it would cost more, double handling etc

i have a colleague involved with pontoons and the like and they defiantly prefer summer when installed marine structures :)

concrete also cures faster when the water is 20 instead of 14 degrees

The pontoon and pylons will most probably be constructed from precast concrete and composite material elements. In any case, concrete cures via a chemical reaction and this has little to do with temperature or underwater conditions until you get to sub zeros where hydration will cease.

The point of the post is to band together and hopefully convince them the delay the upgrade. I know of several commercial operators who are also mounting repsonses in the same vein.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news, just got that in my email, after writing them.

"The NPWS project manager has been involved in extensive and protracted negotiations with both Treasury and the contractor to get the project delayed. Even though it comes at considerable inconvenience to the contractor, they have agreed to delay the commencement of the project until the end of the Easter school holidays Consequently, the project will now commence on Monday 23rd April and the ramp will be closed for 6 weeks."

• 2 months later...

Good news, just got that in my email, after writing them.

"The NPWS project manager has been involved in extensive and protracted negotiations with both Treasury and the contractor to get the project delayed. Even though it comes at considerable inconvenience to the contractor, they have agreed to delay the commencement of the project until the end of the Easter school holidays Consequently, the project will now commence on Monday 23rd April and the ramp will be closed for 6 weeks."

Anyone know if the ramps re-opened yet?

It doesnt help when the maritime construction piling rig can only slam in 2 pylons a day, and thats if the cable chains dont break and have to be re-threaded, boat repositioned,etc, etc, etc. A painfully time consuming event I can tell you after working on the piling rig a year or 2 back in rose bay when they started expanding the wharf out further.

Dan

It doesnt help when the maritime construction piling rig can only slam in 2 pylons a day, and thats if the cable chains dont break and have to be re-threaded, boat repositioned,etc, etc, etc. A painfully time consuming event I can tell you after working on the piling rig a year or 2 back in rose bay when they started expanding the wharf out further.

Dan

Gee 29th June! Taking forever! It's been really inconvenient, they should have started it in Middle of winter around july when not as many people fish!

Thanks for the updates.

Cheers