Jeep grand cherokee -

locodave

jeep is one of those brands that alot of people dont know much about so they steer clear of them.

its always the louder minority of people who make the most noise....

im onto my second jeep in a row, and im hooked....... admitidly i have the wrangler and not the GC, but still, jeeps a jeep....

people will go on and on about recalls, fire etc... but its all a blow up really..... every car has their teething issues when they release a new model...... a mate of mine has the new GC but the V8 version, and he loves it.....

what you need is a good dealer to get the car from, if you are in sydney i can reccomend one......

lots of mechanics charge an obscene amount for parts and labour on jeeps, cos they jsut dont know.... parts are cheap if you know where to shop....... ;)

belive me, i have a wrangler that is modified much more then your average patrol/ land cruiser..... i wouldnt have been able to afford it if i went to the mainstream suppliers.....

happy to answer any more questions if you need......

Hi,

I really like the new Jeep GC. But in a magazine it said jeep did not have a good reliability record.

Who has one? And what do you think of the above statement? I would get the new 3.0l diesel.

I bought a Jeep once, had the 2.8 diesel in it 6 speed auto leather all the gear fitted it out with a heap of after market product right up to twin diff locks, cost me a fortune and lost me a fortune on it.

Traded it well before end of lease just to get rid of it.

Just have a look at the resale value, that should tell you how good they are.

Over heated when towing up hills if there was any sort of warmth in the air, heavy on diesel around 17l/100km and right up to 25L/100km on the sand not towing, gear box failed after 3 years power steering failed around the same time, and the suspension is shit.

Keep on asking around you will find the answer to your question. I know of at least 5 people that have had a Jeeps right through from standard to heavily modified and its always the same answer.

Good luck if you go that way, you will need it....

Neighbour just picked up a v8. Petrol about about 10 years old I'm guessing the grand Cherokee would have to go look

33l per hundred towing a 1200kg 20ft van

Previous owner had driven on the beach and all the front end was rooted could get front brake hubs off etc

I'm looking for a new car at the moment with a budget of around $50K... narrowed it down to either the new Jeep GC or Subaru Forester Turbo;

Test drove the new Jeep Grand Cherokee 2weeks ago (albeit the V6 version)...I was very impressed with the car! For the money (~$50k)you get a lot of standard equipment, comfort, towing power & off-road capability... the only concern i have is the reliability, running costs (especially being 1st of new shape) & resale... I've heard alot of bad reports (granted mostly hear-say) and good ones too...The diesel version is supposedly selling well & i've heard theres a few month wait for the diesel & Overland models)...

Plus, I read somewhere that it was awarded 4x4 of the year last year???

(Here's comprehensive review of the JGC:- http://www.caradvice.com.au/131846/jeep-grand-cherokee-diesel-review/#review-review-tab)

Last week I test drove the Forester (XT/S-Edition) and although it's not a great looking vehicle, i think it will be the safer bet (for my needs)...

What other cars are on your list?

Edited by PlayerOne

like i said, if you know who to talk to and they know what they are looking at jeeps are great cars...... dont rely on the dealerships for anything outside of warranty work........ most dealers couldnt tell you the difference between a jeep and a mazda.....

there are some good ones out there though......

dont write off the jeep cos of somethign that happened to a friends neighbours sisters sons girlfriends dad..........

The grand Cherokee won wheels (i think it was) 4wd of the year ... that has got to say something about them ...Ive got the new diesel wrangler and so far so good ... Jeep have definitely had their issues in the past but from what I have hear their diesels are pretty good ... Their also bringing out a new petrol v6 this year, and reports from the states say that it is also a significant step up .... In terms of re-sale diesels hold their value a little better than the petrol, but if you want something which is going to hold onto its new car price then you should probably be looking at buying a Hilux :)

The grand Cherokee won wheels (i think it was) 4wd of the year ... that has got to say something about them ...Ive got the new diesel wrangler and so far so good ... Jeep have definitely had their issues in the past but from what I have hear their diesels are pretty good ... Their also bringing out a new petrol v6 this year, and reports from the states say that it is also a significant step up .... In terms of re-sale diesels hold their value a little better than the petrol, but if you want something which is going to hold onto its new car price then you should probably be looking at buying a Hilux :)

the diesel it the same as the ones that mercedes use... come out of england from the VM factory... i solid motor, infact they probably have to much torque for the manual gear box...

the new petrol motor is already out, the 3.6 penstar.... aparantly it is a ripper of a donk..... but with any new car/ product, they will have some teething issues.

once you drive a jeep everything else seems boring..... like i said, im onto my second wrangler.... got mates with nice european cars etc, and while they are extremely nice etc, something always drags me back to the jeep......

id rather push my jeep then drive a hilux :P

id rather push my jeep then drive a hilux :P

That might be something you will get to do if you keep driving jeeps!! Cars dont get their reputation by accident. Jeeps are thirsty. They are cheap to modify though as jeeps are one of the most modified vehicles in the world thanks to USA. The ride is also not very comfy. As said above, the resale value is a good indication of the reliability etc of the car.

That might be something you will get to do if you keep driving jeeps!! Cars dont get their reputation by accident. Jeeps are thirsty. They are cheap to modify though as jeeps are one of the most modified vehicles in the world thanks to USA. The ride is also not very comfy. As said above, the resale value is a good indication of the reliability etc of the car.

hahahaha, i knew id get that comment as soon as i posted....

jeeps get their reputation from their past owners taking short cuts..... alot has changed inthe last 5-10 years with them, you now see them frequenting the outback, which used to be all patrol and land cruisers, yes the after market for them is huge! but not everyone wants to modify their jeeps....

resale value isnt determind by the reliability of a car... take the falcon or commodore for example, both realiable cars, but dont hold their resale at all....

my jeep runs 37 inch tires and my fuel economy is about 13L/100 around town........thats pretty good considering the weight of each wheel and tire... and thats a petrol motor...

the jeep GC is a great car, you get alot of bang for your buck,

in my time with jeeps (the last 7 years) ive never had to do anythign to the motor except sercvice the car.... and ive given the cars a fair bit of curry when needed.... thats pretty good considering i use my current one in competition and then drive it to work on monday

I had a jeep grand cheeroke once 2001 model it was. The six cyclinder version that drank about 18L per 100kms. First issue came up within 3 months. ABS light came on, dealer said that 2 abs sensor cables broke and would not be covered under warranty because i took the car onto the beach (said this car is not designed to go offroad). I made a big deal about it and they finally fixed it under warranty. 2 months later without going onto the beach another 2 cables break, this time they said i must pay. Again i made a big deal and it was fixed under warranty. 1 year down the track i had leaking engine seals and leaking rear diff. Again fixed under warranty. Just under 2 years the engine starting overheating, again back to the dealer to have radiator replaced. Engine ran like crap after 2 years. Couldnt take it anymore after that and sold the car at a 50% loss after 2 years. Also the servicing cost by jeep were off the roof! I can't remember any service costing under $600 even for basic service. Jeep may have a better built quality now but i still have that sour taste.

I had a jeep grand cheeroke once 2001 model it was. The six cyclinder version that drank about 18L per 100kms. First issue came up within 3 months. ABS light came on, dealer said that 2 abs sensor cables broke and would not be covered under warranty because i took the car onto the beach (said this car is not designed to go offroad). I made a big deal about it and they finally fixed it under warranty. 2 months later without going onto the beach another 2 cables break, this time they said i must pay. Again i made a big deal and it was fixed under warranty. 1 year down the track i had leaking engine seals and leaking rear diff. Again fixed under warranty. Just under 2 years the engine starting overheating, again back to the dealer to have radiator replaced. Engine ran like crap after 2 years. Couldnt take it anymore after that and sold the car at a 50% loss after 2 years. Also the servicing cost by jeep were off the roof! I can't remember any service costing under $600 even for basic service. Jeep may have a better built quality now but i still have that sour taste.

Now this sounds very familiar, right down to the warranty work.

i hear you with the warranty work, however, in fairness to dealerships......any for that matter, they arent in the business to give stufff away, like with insurance companies, they dlook for any way to get out of it.....

so far ive had good experiances with my cvar and warranty work.... keep in mind that they are well within their rights to tell me to get lost, i have a lift kit, stupidly big tires, after market jsut about everything under the car... but mt dealership still is happy to help me out.....

its about who you speak to and how you speak to them... going into any dealership raving and carrying on isnt gonna get you anywhere.....

alfa..... happy to take your hilix on in an off road challange :P

now that jeep are mostly owned by fiat, you will see big chages with their QC and the likes.... you can alreayd see it filtering through......

I'm looking for a new car at the moment with a budget of around $50K... narrowed it down to either the new Jeep GC or Subaru Forester Turbo;

Test drove the new Jeep Grand Cherokee 2weeks ago (albeit the V6 version)...I was very impressed with the car! For the money (~$50k)you get a lot of standard equipment, comfort, towing power & off-road capability... the only concern i have is the reliability, running costs (especially being 1st of new shape) & resale... I've heard alot of bad reports (granted mostly hear-say) and good ones too...The diesel version is supposedly selling well & i've heard theres a few month wait for the diesel & Overland models)...

Plus, I read somewhere that it was awarded 4x4 of the year last year???

(Here's comprehensive review of the JGC:- http://www.caradvice.com.au/131846/jeep-grand-cherokee-diesel-review/#review-review-tab)

Last week I test drove the Forester (XT/S-Edition) and although it's not a great looking vehicle, i think it will be the safer bet (for my needs)...

What other cars are on your list?

I think the other car I would consider is the Mitsubishi Challenger. The reason why I fell in love with the GC was the sunroof haha! But it also has a sleek look to it!

i hear you with the warranty work, however, in fairness to dealerships......any for that matter, they arent in the business to give stufff away, like with insurance companies, they dlook for any way to get out of it.....

so far ive had good experiances with my cvar and warranty work.... keep in mind that they are well within their rights to tell me to get lost, i have a lift kit, stupidly big tires, after market jsut about everything under the car... but mt dealership still is happy to help me out.....

its about who you speak to and how you speak to them... going into any dealership raving and carrying on isnt gonna get you anywhere.....

alfa..... happy to take your hilix on in an off road challange :P

now that jeep are mostly owned by fiat, you will see big chages with their QC and the likes.... you can alreayd see it filtering through......

I didn't know they were bought by FIAT! I'm personally not a fan of European technology. It always seems to fail. BMW, Benz. I've had them all and always had issues. With my jap cars I have never had a problem.

Where are these Jeeps made?

I didn't know they were bought by FIAT! I'm personally not a fan of European technology. It always seems to fail. BMW, Benz. I've had them all and always had issues. With my jap cars I have never had a problem.

Where are these Jeeps made?

Wow, I've had the opposite experience my last car was a pajero never again it was a piece of crap in 40,000km the aircon shit itself took them 3 weeks to fix that the traction / stability control went haywire and come on while overtaking virtually stopping you in your tracks and the last straw was oil consumption of 400ml per 1000km. Mitsubishi's response (remember they claim to have the best new car warranty) was that's within our specs but seeing as you have taken it to a dealer for all services we will take it into consideration if it gets worse. I took consideration and got rid of it.

So if anyone has bought a silver 2005 pajero platinum that uses oil ......sorry.

I had a BMW... No problems great car, I now have a Land Rover disco 4 nearly 2 years old 35,000km not 1 issue best car I've owned so far.

As for the jeeps I know 2 guys who have owned them one still has it and loves it it's a wrangler the other will curse and swear if you mention it, it was a Cherokee we (his mates) don't think it was as bad As he makes out it was, more a lazy / stupid dealer problem, took them 6 months to identify an air leak in the fuel system which would cause it to go into limp mode occasionally other than that it had no other problems.

jeeps are still beign made in the usa.....

i personally love the european cars, they are miles ahead of the japanese, rememebr, the euro's innovate where as the japs copy.... but they do copy well

the previous 2 posts get my point across even more, its personal experiance....... i am talking from my experience..... i like jeeps, and havbe had NO issues with them.....