Nissan xtrail -

locodave

Hi,

Does anyone own a nissan xtrail and tow a large boat? This is one of the other cars i am interested in to save some money. I have a 5.5m glass boat and the specssay it weighs 1200kgs all up. So roughly 1400 with fuel etc. I just want to know how it would handle towing a large boat. Will it have enough power up a hill?

Im referring to the petrol version. The diesel is another $8k so for that i think i would go the mitsubishi challenger.

Thanks guys.

HI Mate,

I don't own one but my advice would be to look at the type of towing you do with it. If it's only ever short local trips then you will have plenty of options as long as you stay with the legal limits.

But if you do regular long distance trips that's another story.

We do 2 to 4 long distance (200-400km one way) trips a year. Loaded with all the camping and fishing gear the bends and hills ask a lot of questions of the cars at these times. Originally I had a 3.5lt petrol rodeo. I thought it would have plenty of grunt. It did, until you asked it tow a boat up hill. And in return for asking it to work a bit harder than 'normal' it scorched a hole in my wallet!

I then upgraded to a Turbo Diesel Hilux. Absolutely chalk and cheese. Couldn't be happier with the diesel. Even though the hilux has a modest towing capacity of 2.2T it pulls the load with ease, and fuel consumption does not jump significantly. I couldn't be happier with it in this regard. I'd imagine much similar towing performance from any of the 3lt + TBD in utes or wagons going around.

Unless new technology convinces me otherwise, while I have something to tow, I'll have a diesel to tow it. Even if it's just for one long trip each year.

They're a great vehicle. A friend of mine has a turbo diesel x-trail and it pulls like a train. Would have no trouble pulling 1.5 tonnes anywhere. The only thing I would worry about is overloading the transmission towing a heavy load close to their capacity for hours straight. Consistently towing 2 tonnes hundreds on km in the hills and I think the gearbox would pack it in.

You'll never get a petrol that tows as well as a diesel. Diesel engines have more torque lower in the rev range and tend to hold their revs when under load where a petrol will just let the revs fall.

If you're towing around 1.5 tonne then I'd suggest not even entertaining the idea of a petrol.

Hi,

A mate of mine has a diesel xtrail which has towed my boat a couple of times, did it easy.

But I'd check the weight of the boat mines a 5.3m quintrex, with full tank (90L) and some fishing gear it weighs 1320kg. That is weigh bridge tested, so I figure a 5.5m fiberglass must weigh a fair bit more than 80kgs than mine.

What is the towing capacity of the xtrail?

The diesel seems to be a good motor mostly because it's not made in Japan it is a Renault motor so has European technology.

Estimates are a great thing but you can't beat the lie detector Mine is estimated at 1150 - 1200kg,

I tow it with a Land Rover Discovery 4 3L diesel, with 180kw and 600nm of torque and 3500kg towing capacity I have to keep checking the rear view mirror to make sure the boat is still there

You can't beat the torque of a modern diesel especially a euro designed one, the Japanese just haven't caught up yet.