Port Hacking

Yowie

Drifted Lilli Pilli flats with nippers this morning early before the wind picked up, mostly calm, and the water was clear with the run up tide. Nothing to be seen except for the dozens of little toads and stingrays.

Eventually managed 2 whiting at 37 and 41cm, a 38cm flattie and just legal bream. Dropped a slightly bigger flattie and that was that. Not even any little whiting to be seen.

While I was drifting the flats, a lot of fish were carving up the surface around the baths. I motored over and some of the fish were inside the baths. I stood up in the boat and looked over the net, and could see several kingies around the 50 to 55cm mark. They were swimming under a school of anchovies, and when the anchovies were in a tight ball, the kingies would swim up and grab the little fish. I dropped a lure in amongst the fish, had a couple of touches on the lure by the kingies but no actual grabs at the lure, so could not hook up. Tried a nipper and had a couple of touches, but again no actual grabs at the nipper to hook up. The kingies were attacking the anchovies for half an hour to an hour. If I had hooked one, it probably would have swum through the net, as they were swimming freely through the net to attack the anchovies.

Headed for home and cleaned the fish. The water in Gunnamatta Bay still has a bit of colour, so while I was cleaning the fish, I cut off a bit of whiting fillet and threw it out on a handline amongst the fish bones I threw into the water, and pulled out 2 bream at 32 and 37cm. Released the larger one.

(no photos Tumra, maybe next time)

Yowie.

Edited by yowie

Yowie fishing sure is tough of late , but you managed a fresh feed top stuff. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: .

Those kings seem to be around lilli pilli alot of late which is nice to see,would be nice if they were all of nice sizes.

Chris.

Got a king yesterday.. Went 81cm :thumbup:

Edited by one armed fisho

Yowie fishing sure is tough of late , but you managed a fresh feed top stuff. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: .

Those kings seem to be around lilli pilli alot of late which is nice to see,would be nice if they were all of nice sizes.

Chris.

Chris,

Probably would be a couple of big ones there, but would need to put in the time for that to happen. I am happy with a feed of whatever comes along, according the times and locations I fish.

Dave.

Nice work Yowie.

I also fished up there this morning. Was chasing a jewie or kingy mainly. No bloody luck though. Then the wind kicked in and that was that.

Did manage to catch 2 jewies 5kg and 4kg and a kingy (74cm)last week. Got the biggest jewie mid arvo on soft plastic 6lb flathead outfit. was a bit of fun.

Nice work Yowie.

I also fished up there this morning. Was chasing a jewie or kingy mainly. No bloody luck though. Then the wind kicked in and that was that.

Did manage to catch 2 jewies 5kg and 4kg and a kingy (74cm)last week. Got the biggest jewie mid arvo on soft plastic 6lb flathead outfit. was a bit of fun.

Good work. The thing about catching jewies is that some don't fight too much, and others fight really hard. Have had a couple fight to the death on light line ( actually dead when landed )

In my younger days, I fished with 3lb line for something different, but the jewies took too long to catch. 6lb line should have given you a bit of fun as you stated.