Woolooware Bay on Sunday

Hi Raiders,

I took advantage of the improved weather over the weekend and headed out by myself early on Sunday morning with a plan for a dawn surface lure session amongst the oyster leases in Woolooware Bay. As I launched the boat I noted that the water temperature was only 19 degrees and immediately knew that it a surface bite was unlikely. I decided to focus on hard bodies amongst the racks.

The morning started with a slight breeze as the tide rose amongst the Oyster Racks of Woolooware Bay and I worked hard bodies, mainly Atomic Baby Cranks, Cultiva Mira Shads and Berkley 3B divers. I decided to work racks deeper in the bay as the tide flooded them, slowly working the racks in 3 – 5 feet of water.

post-12960-012498000 1332761966_thumb.jpg

post-12960-019717500 1332761978_thumb.jpg

For the first two hours after dawn I caught half a dozen sub 25cm Bream and a couple of sub 30 cm flatties. As the water got deeper the water temperature rose to 21 degrees and I started to get more interest from larger Bream with a couple of large fish following the lure out of the racks right to the boat. I decided to slow my retrieve and add a number of pauses with my suspending Cultiva Mira Shad. This change paid immediate dividends with a 35cm Bream taking my lure as it was paused in the front of a bank of disused racks.

post-12960-000639500 1332761990_thumb.jpg

This was a completely different approach from two weeks ago when the Bream would only take moving lures. I continued to catch Bream using the retrieve and pause technique amongst the disused racks, but mostly smaller bream with only one other large Bream. The Bream went off the bite as the tide neared its peak.

post-12960-075580900 1332762001_thumb.jpg

Bassboy then joined me to fish the turn of the tide and the run out. We worked submerged rock walls and disused racks for a number of missed strikes and a couple of small Bream. Unfortunately the fishing became more difficult as the wind picked up just after midday and it became difficult to hold a position near the racks. The last legal fish of the session was a 50cm flattie that took an Atomic Baby Crank Deep retrieved close to a rock wall.

post-12960-014888100 1332762018_thumb.jpg

Overall it was a good morning session amongst the racks of Woolooware Bay and I learnt again that sometimes it just takes a small adjustment to your retrieve to bring success.

Good fun session, should be a good year for some big blue nose Bream, this muddy water will help out in long run.

It was a good session and I was hoping to encounter some of the bigger Bream amongst the racks. This time last year I lost a number of HB lures from big bream from the same racks.

Well done guys. Love the finnese fishing that I hope to pickup one day. :thumbup:

At times it is really heart in the mouth stuff steering the bigger fish away from their cover of the racks, thankfully I didn't loose any HB lures this time around.

Sounds like a great session and isn't it true that techniques that work one week don't work the next! Nice breambos!!!

Thanks Rob, it was an enjoyable session despite the lack of surface action. I will be need to remember to change it up rather than just being lazy.

Cheers Paul