IDEAS ON MOTOR PLEASE

warnie100

Hi folks i have purchasd a v150 natiglass open run about project boat being on a pension and very tight budget what older motor i guess it would be aroung 50/60 hp would be best to buy given the parts availability and cost is a priority thanks for any ideas : :beersmile:

Guest Aussie007

Hi folks i have purchasd a v150 natiglass open run about project boat being on a pension and very tight budget what older motor i guess it would be aroung 50/60 hp would be best to buy given the parts availability and cost is a priority thanks for any ideas : :beersmile:

theres a lot of old mercury's and johnson/evinrudes's still around a couple of weeks ago i sold my 50hp evinrude it was a 1971 model ran great i would think for a 15 foot fibreglass boat u would want a 70hp evinrude or johnson (these are the same motors) are probably the best to buy the parts are more available just keep an eye out as the older evinrudes have a tilt and trim side mounted motor with twin rams the trim motors are no longer available the newer models have the tilt trim motor in between the clamps parts are everywhere just stay clear of the old suzuki outboards parts are bloody rare and very hard to come by

My guess is that hull is rated up tp 85hp or thereabouts. a 60 or 70 should be fine.. while i understand you have a budget, unless you like the occasonal rowing for exercise you are looking at a very tired engine if you want a cheap one. hold off, save you cash and buy the best late model you can. you will thank yourself for the patience and not having to get a tow every other day. only my thoughts as i have seen too many others skimp on the motor which importantly is the thing that gets you from A to B....best of luck with the search.