Mono Line Woes

f1shen

Been having a lot of problems with my line recently. For some reason, my blood knots keep slipping, which has never, ever happened before. It's almost as though someone has greased my lines when I haven't been looking. I'll tie a blood knot as usual, and when you pull on the hook and the main line, the tail of the knot just pulls right through.

I've varied the number of twists in the knot, made sure the knot is nice and tight, double looped it round the hook, tried every damn thing. The line isn't cheap rubbish, either, it's Daiwa branded stuff.

Anyone had this problem before?

What knots do you reckon might work, now that the blood knot has failed me? I don't want to bite the bullet yet and buy new line and respool. Maybe it's god telling me that it's time to move to braid.

Thanks!

Been having a lot of problems with my line recently. For some reason, my blood knots keep slipping, which has never, ever happened before. It's almost as though someone has greased my lines when I haven't been looking. I'll tie a blood knot as usual, and when you pull on the hook and the main line, the tail of the knot just pulls right through.

I've varied the number of twists in the knot, made sure the knot is nice and tight, double looped it round the hook, tried every damn thing. The line isn't cheap rubbish, either, it's Daiwa branded stuff.

What knots do you reckon might work, now that the blood knot has failed me? I don't want to bite the bullet yet and buy new line and respool. Maybe it's god telling me that it's time to move to braid.

Thanks!

You must be missing the final hitch in the Blood knot, the knot will clench tight when done properly.

Doubling your line through the eye is a must IMO.

You'll be tying you hook to mono or fluoro carbon as a leader anyway, so that won't solve your problem.

1. Have you tried locking off the blood knot? A standard blood knot can sometimes slip, particularly when tied in new line. (check your PM's)

2. Try a uni knot as an alternative. That should resolve the issue for you (if it is infact your knot that is letting you down).

Cheers

Hodgey

I agree with Hodgey. You just gotta bite the bullet and learn how to do a uni knot.

Uni knot will only go tighter the harder you pull, unlike a blood knot that will either slip or break the harder you pull.

1. Have you tried locking off the blood knot? A standard blood knot can sometimes slip, particularly when tied in new line. (check your PM's)

2. Try a uni knot as an alternative. That should resolve the issue for you (if it is infact your knot that is letting you down).

Cheers

Hodgey

Woah ... that final hitch locking it off *mind blown*. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'll be sure to give it a try.

Thanks so much, guys. As ever, you are a font of knowledge!

I used to use the uni knot and the blood knot. Never had them slip, but did find they reduced the line breaking strain too much especially with lighter line. A number of years back I was fishing some snags by boat and kept getting caught up. Every time I did and I put a little extra pressure on the lure the line would snap at the knot. I changed to an improved clinch knot I found that I could pull heaps harder before the line would go. All knots will reduce the breaking strain of your line mind you, just in my experience the improved clinch knot maintains the best strength for terminal tackle connections. Well worth a try raiders!

I used to use the uni knot and the blood knot. Never had them slip, but did find they reduced the line breaking strain too much especially with lighter line. A number of years back I was fishing some snags by boat and kept getting caught up. Every time I did and I put a little extra pressure on the lure the line would snap at the knot. I changed to an improved clinch knot I found that I could pull heaps harder before the line would go. All knots will reduce the breaking strain of your line mind you, just in my experience the improved clinch knot maintains the best strength for terminal tackle connections. Well worth a try raiders!

I use an improved clinch with the line through the hook eye twice. Top knot.

I used to use Uni's all the time, I like a clinch, they both retain about 90% breaking strain.

One knot that retains 100% breaking strain (actually increases) is the chain knot, but large profile may not suit finesse lures, great for big kings though. Simply knot, 10-15 alternating half hitches, it creates a spring like effect under load. I've tested it by tying up to the light pole out the front of my place, and walking back with a locked and thumbed drag, it snaped the leader in half, the mid knot and the chain knot retained 100%

Edited by iMick

Thanks!

Hi mate. Ive been using the Blood Knot in mono for a long, long time. Ive tried all the popular knots and its my favourite and most reliable knot. It should never EVER slip if tied properly. If it slips, even without the lock you are doing it wrong. I dont use the lock. It weakens the knot and is not needed.

Use six turns. Only go ONCE through the eye of whatever your tieing to. When you tighten the knot down, hold the tag and pull the main line ONLY until it has about 20mm to go to get right down.

Then, moisten, pull the main line ONLY while holding your hook/lure/swivel or whatever until it is fully tight. DO NOT PULL THE TAG END TO TIGHTEN. If the tag wants to slip while tightening, hold it, but for the final tightening you must only hold the hook and pull the mainline.

Watch the knot as it forms. You should have 5 or six nice round uniform rings all tight against eachother when the knot is tight. If its not neat and is messed up or rings are overlapped thats no good.

You tie it like that and you'll find it very good. If you need more advice PM me... :)