Do you lose your car licence if done on the water in NSW

dave nagy

Just wondering if you lose car licence if you get done on the water.

Not that i have been done, just wonering.

Since Aust day when some clowns played up at Jibbon in the Port Hacking the cops have benn on patrol.

Several weeks ago they were even filming RBT getting evry boat headinig towards Yowie Bay coming out of the Christian camp chanel.

I think it will be on tv in the next couple of weeks.

Dont know how many they got, but its a warning to all boaters.

I know in QLD you dont lose your car licence, dut is it the same here

Interesting question, and I look forward to hearing an official response.

Food for thought ... if you're over the limit in your boat, how are you supposed to tow it home, especially if you're on your own?

Unless it is on the same Licence as mentioned by daniel944, there is no logic to lose both.

Hence why "Licence Class" exists on your card. I.e. if you ride a motorbike get suspended, that includes a car too.

Sounds logical to me. They are completely different licences, case closed.

FYI: You can bet your bottom dollar they will be combined. For those of you that don't already know, the RTA is now called RMS, Roads and Maritime Services.

Edited by The Incredible Hull

I'm pretty sure you do lose both. It's a deterrent and rightfully so,

Apparently if your on your push bike on a road over the limit you loose your lic as well....

I'm sure one of the 17000 fish raiders is a cop or a high priced lawyer that could clarify.

Apparently if your on your push bike on a road over the limit you loose your lic as well....

I'm sure one of the 17000 fish raiders is a cop or a high priced lawyer that could clarify.

Read this:

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/wh/murray_review.pdf

Its a 2011 safety review on possible new compliance etc for water\boating safety.

Pay attention to "Discussion paper options supported by submission" #27 - keyword is "should" as it is a suggestion.

Fair enough.

What is everyone's thoughts? Personally I'd welcome it. Anyone who's happy to drive a boat under the influence shouldn't be on the roads with me and my family.

Could be opening can of worms here.

Combine them I say, get done for DUI then lose ALL licences, should lose vessel/car etc you were in control of also no matter if you own it or not.

yep, dui in a car, lose your bike, car, truck, crane, boat, pwc, helicopter, plane etc.......

no room in this world for irrisponsible people.....

thats not true. I had this debate the other day with someone and looked up the legislation and everything. You can only get fined for offences on a bicycle as to lose points etc on your car licence the infringement needs to have occured in a motor vehicle and a bicycle does not meet the definition of a motor vehicle under the Act.

thats not true. I had this debate the other day with someone and looked up the legislation and everything. You can only get fined for offences on a bicycle as to lose points etc on your car licence the infringement needs to have occured in a motor vehicle and a bicycle does not meet the definition of a motor vehicle under the Act.

Spot on and you can even have a motor on a bicycle up to a certain power limit without it being considered a motor vehicle.

I had a client who once rode one of those motorised scooter while he had his driver's licence suspended. His scooter was a little too powerful.

I got a speeding ticket in my boat and it is not connected to car license. Just paid the $70 dollar fine and that was it. I am sure that the day is coming for combined license and the other tax gouge the man seems to have forgotten is that there is no stamp duty on transferring ergo on boats. SSSHHHH.

Mike

i reckon .05 on a boat is a bit rich.

if you drive a car you are expected to drive within 2 metres of another car with a closing speed of 120-200 kph, every few seconds in the sun or rain, day or night. in reality you cannot choose the speed you go or the path you take.this kind of accuracy and attention is not required on a boat, id rather be under the harbour bridge than on it.

how about if you are the only boat on a reef, or difting for flatties a couple of miles out, 2 beers is pushing it.

i speak without having been busted but would like 1 more beer sometimes, not wanting to get maggotty.

i feel .08 during sunrise to sunset excluding bar crossings would be fairer. however i dont expect much support from RMS on this one.

i reckon .05 on a boat is a bit rich.

if you drive a car you are expected to drive within 2 metres of another car with a closing speed of 120-200 kph, every few seconds in the sun or rain, day or night. in reality you cannot choose the speed you go or the path you take.this kind of accuracy and attention is not required on a boat, id rather be under the harbour bridge than on it.

how about if you are the only boat on a reef, or difting for flatties a couple of miles out, 2 beers is pushing it.

i speak without having been busted but would like 1 more beer sometimes, not wanting to get maggotty.

i feel .08 during sunrise to sunset excluding bar crossings would be fairer. however i dont expect much support from RMS on this one.

0.8 is fine at sea if you want to go that way but how can you drive your car home when the road limit is 0.5,logically they need to be the same.

Regards.

0.8 is fine at sea if you want to go that way but how can you drive your car home when the road limit is 0.5,logically they need to be the same.

Regards.

You must be kidding surely? There is just as much (if not more) that can go wrong at sea and the consequences can be just as bad.

If it were up to me there should be a zero limit on the water - too many idiots out there as it is without the addition of alcohol.

You must be kidding surely? There is just as much (if not more) that can go wrong at sea and the consequences can be just as bad.

If it were up to me there should be a zero limit on the water - too many idiots out there as it is without the addition of alcohol.

I agree,I reckon it should be Zero on the road as well.

Any one watch that RBT show on the telly,when the morons say "Ive only had 2 long necks or Ive only had 4 schooners in half an hour I should be under".

Make it so you cant drink any then there is no confusion .