ID this fish please

Dfishin

Question

14 answers to this question

Thanks ray.

i couldnt work out how to do that.

Me and couple of others think looks like some sort of deep cod. I would really like to find this one out. I do alot of bottom bashing and have never seen one of these before ?

Thanks ray.

Me and couple of others think looks like some sort of deep cod. I would really like to find this one out. I do alot of bottom bashing and have never seen one of these before ?

Cannot find anything in my publications.

Try the Fisheries or Australian Museum.

Thanks ray.

Helicolenus barathri

post-256-050494500 1333278862_thumb.jpg

Orange Deep Sea Perch

Not sure if it is this one. I have caught hundreds of the one you have pictured and definitely looks different ti this.

These ones i caught had a very large mouth with different teeth. the teeth were big with only 4 teeth in top and bottom jaw. i was catching these fish you have pictured at the same spot and compared these to them and think they are different.

The fish i have pictured i caught 2 of them at the same time ( to different rods at the exact same time )

Maybe it is one of these perch but must be oversized and deformed. the size of both was mose around the 55 cm mark maybe more ?

As i said i have caught this one before a lot and bigger models and im not convinced these are the same fish. Could be wrong though ?

Easy, if you go to a fish shop and buy perch fillets, thats what you have. Deep Sea Perch. Great on the tooth. No mystery there.

If you want a really good book for fish, Hutchinsons and Swainstons cost you about 150 nicka. It is my bible!

Edited by finin