20+ KG Longtail (Port Stephens 27/03/12)

wise one

Had our annual trip to Port Stephens last week targeting the longtails and kings.

On our second day fishing The Little Gibber managed this 120cm / 20+ KG longtail (a new PB for me).

post-4544-098036500 1333352355_thumb.jpg

Caught on a live yacka on 10KG mono.

Edited by wise one

Awesome catch!

We fished the trailerboat fishing comp over the weekend, no longtail tuna were landed. You would have taken out first place for tuna if you caught it a few days later in comp hours. some epic fish caught in the comp though. we fished the big gibber at one stage but had no activity. My best fish was a 78cm snapper on a Plastic within the first hour of the comp. Still nowhere near the winners though!

Nice catch!

Great fish mate!! I really need to change our annual port Stephens family holiday to this time in the year rather than December!!! "....because the fishing is better" doesn't seem wash with the extended family of non-fishers!

great fish! bet it ripped some line out.

were you slow trolling the yakka? ballooning at anchor?

second hand reports of longtails hanging about up here in Forster- and I want one!!

Cheers

Tom

Ballooning at anchor - the wife pulled it up and drove the boat to chase the fish! :thumbup:

In Southern waters, the longtails tend to be a little skittish and so much harder to catch if you have your motor running (which generally rules out slow trolling).

I have managed a couple on slugs in the Bay at Port Stephens, but these require loooong casts and light tackle (3 years ago I hooked one on 4KG spinning outfit, fought it for 1 hour 40 minutes, had it circling the boat for 10 minutes, then the hook straightened :ranting2: )

Ballooning at anchor - the wife pulled it up and drove the boat to chase the fish! :thumbup:

In Southern waters, the longtails tend to be a little skittish and so much harder to catch if you have your motor running (which generally rules out slow trolling).

I have managed a couple on slugs in the Bay at Port Stephens, but these require loooong casts and light tackle (3 years ago I hooked one on 4KG spinning outfit, fought it for 1 hour 40 minutes, had it circling the boat for 10 minutes, then the hook straightened :ranting2: )

thanks for the useful tips!

you'd be pretty bummed straightening hooks on light tackle!

hopefully I can report back with similar success from up here

Cheers

Tom