used tires

savage

hey guys

does anyone know were to get second hand tires from a junk yard. or where i can find them cheaper??

they are just only going to be used for the boat to sit on to fix the trailer.

cheers,

savage

Guest Aussie007

yup give a tyre shop a call but remember it will be hard to dispose of the tyres once your finished and u cant toss out car parts in council clean ups so u will have to take them to the tip last and first time i was there the fee was $110 for a small 7x4 box trailer full of junk :1yikes:

How about we start to build an artificial reef with such things as tyres......I know potential pollution issues and such like, but they actually make a great habitat for for fish. Perhaps, we decide on a location, we share the GPS co-ords.....but shhhhh, don't tell the authorities, they don't like us doing things on our own!

Twinfisher - that's classified as dumping rubbish and illegal, fisheries already make artificial reefs all over the east coast check them out, there's always some kind of fish holding on them.

As for 2nd hand tyres, best place is 7 day used tyres on parramata Rd granville. I've been going there for 9 years and they're prices ate pretty good, just ask if you can help chose the tyres most likely get urself a near new pair if you pick through em and they will fit them for you on the spot

Guest Aussie007

the tyre option is cheap and effective u can also make a stand if you have a power saw and a drill even a hand saw will work bunnings sell timber cheap i built a couple outboard motor stands for my engines i rebuild from memory i got 2.9m lengths of 65x35mm 4 or 5 pieces and only cost me around $20.50

Hi DownToFish, I would refer you to the SA website "where A tyre module reef designed by the South Australian Research and Development Institute (SARDI). Each module consists of 28 used car tyres" So if the government endorses the use of recycling car tyres, I don't see it as an issue? And as far is NSW is concerned, according to their website, here is what they have done to date:

Botany Bay

Lake Conjola

Lake Macquarie – Galgabba Point

Merimbula Lake

St Georges Basin

Oh and plus the new one of South Head, Sydney Harbour. In short, very little!

I'm sorry, but I think there comes a time when fishing groups (such as Fishraider's) are entitled to undertake their own underwater FADS (reefs). I'm not suggesting using old 44 gallon drums and possible high pollutants. Would appreciate others thoughts.

Steve