Hydrofoil

rockfisherman

What size motor? I've been thinking about installing one on my 115.

I've got two new (old)props off another raider to try out 1st though, apparently that can make a huge difference too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for underpowered boats or boats with too much weight at the rear ie two guys battery fuel tank with a tiller steer

Can be disastrous boat in a big following sea,

Gives the wave more leverage on the rear of the boat

I wouldn't put one on a offshore boat, I'd fix the true issue to why your boats not performing

Edited by Juggs

Good for underpowered biats ir boats with too much weight at the rear ie two guys battery fuel tank with a tiller steer

Can be disastrous on a bought boat in a big following sea,

Gives the wave more leverage on the rear of the boat

I wouldn't put one on a offshore boat, I'd fix the true issue to why your boats not performing

Hiya Juggs

I failed to mention that I had a mobile aluminium welder come out and raise my transom with 2 peices of 40 x 40 aluminium giving me adequate height to get my cavitation plate in the right place.

Works a treat.

Fishingphase

Hi Raiders

Over the weekend I installed a hydrofoil on my outboard... Wow what a noticeable difference for such a small price.

Fishingphase

Take care when turning , particular at high speed. This style of foil have been known to work in reverse , one side digs in & can tip the boat on it's side.

The flat type like SE 200 / 300 or Permatrim are much safey & normally give better performance.

Geoff

Take care when turning , particular at high speed. This style of foil have been known to work in reverse , one side digs in & can tip the boat on it's side.

The flat type like SE 200 / 300 or Permatrim are much safey & normally give better performance.

Geoff

Geoff

I did have a look at the larger ones you're talking about, but they were way to big for my small outboard, i was actually lucky i didnt order one online first, I decided to go to the boating store and have a look first.

Fishing phase

Guest Aussie007

that looks very unsafe is that a crack under the transom cap/trim from stress? u should call the welder back out to join the welded tube right across to the transom sides and fill in the whole transom rather than just bung a couple short cut lengths of tubing on there :1yikes:

that looks very unsafe is that a crack under the transom cap/trim from stress? u should call the welder back out to join the welded tube right across to the transom sides and fill in the whole transom rather than just bung a couple short cut lengths of tubing on there :1yikes:

Gazza

The bloke who did the job carries out repairs to maritime vessels, and has so for many years. What I'm getting at is he has loads of experience. I expressed my concerns regarding the strength of the welds, he assured me it would be fine.

Fishingphase

Guest Aussie007

Gazza

The bloke who did the job carries out repairs to maritime vessels, and has so for many years. What I'm getting at is he has loads of experience. I expressed my concerns regarding the strength of the welds, he assured me it would be fine.

Fishingphase

mate the problem isnt the welds a weld if done correctly is stronger than the metal being welded i just have concerns about the welders style ive seen this done many times over the years but never one that doesnt weld the complete width of the motor mount that job just looks very dangerous :thumbdown: if i were u and using the boat as it is replace that padlock with a nice thick shackle and chain as i remember reading padlocks are not rated to take a load where as a shackle is and chain your motor to a strong section of your boat cause i can see that motor possibly falling off also if u by chance hit a sand bank kiss that motor mount gone the square tubing will just bend at the base where its welded to the transom as this section is only a thin cover for the engines clamps to rest on

mate the problem isnt the welds a weld if done correctly is stronger than the metal being welded i just have concerns about the welders style ive seen this done many times over the years but never one that doesnt weld the complete width of the motor mount that job just looks very dangerous :thumbdown: if i were u and using the boat as it is replace that padlock with a nice thick shackle and chain as i remember reading padlocks are not rated to take a load where as a shackle is and chain your motor to a strong section of your boat cause i can see that motor possibly falling off also if u by chance hit a sand bank kiss that motor mount gone the square tubing will just bend at the base where its welded to the transom as this section is only a thin cover for the engines clamps to rest on

Gazza

The padlock is a security measure, in the event the motor comes off or snaps the welds there is a peice of 12mm rope securing it to the boat, also where clamps clamp down is where the 2 peices meet side to side, so there's no chance of of the clamps distorting the aluminium. All the same, I appreciate your input.

Fishingphase