WA - Exmouth and Dampier

Rabs

Hi all,

I have a fishing trip planned in coming weeks with my brothers. My younger brother lives in Port Hedland and is driving his 18ft trailerboat down to Exmouth where we will fish for a few days, driving up to Dampier then back to Port Hedland. Has anybody done something similar and what did they spend their time targeting? We have discussed the Spaniards, GT's and sailfish - we have the gear (stella SW20000) to fish all these but does anyone have any recommendation on specific areas to fish? I think Mr Bundaberg and his mates Jack and Daniel will also get their usual fishing trip starts. We have Port Hedland organised as the place is literally crawling with crabs..... so fresh crab and several ales will be the order at PH. Thanks.

Regards,

Rabs.

Edited by Rabs

Hi Rabs,

I lived in Karratha for a couple of years and did plenty of fishing out of Dampier.

We would always troll bibs or drift livies along reef edges for spaniards, but also pick up anything from tuna to GTs to coral trout doing this.

Berley up queenies and trevs on any of the sandy beaches, and throw metals at them, alway good fun.

You'll get billies out the back of the iron ore ships anchored up out wide.... just look for the other 50 boats doing the same thing!

Beware of the sharks though! Big gear, and winch them in quick smart....

Im jealous, wish i was going!

Cheers,

Singers

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Returned from exmouth 2 weeks ago so the report is better late than never. Fished the north and south ocean side of exmouth and had great weather (as the pictures show). It is Whale shark season and the place is full of day tripper tourist. Having visited the local tackle shop we rigged a few swimming gars and headed for the ocean side ramp. We fished in hot, windless conditions and on the first day scored 2 good sailfish from 3 bites. The fish were caught on the troll with gars. We had a reef fish and scored a few good golden trevally's. The following days was spent chasing sails and fishing the south channel for spaniards (which hit the BBQ). Great place to fish and to have few relaxing days, would highly recommend. The sails were released to fight another day. Also scored a great barracuda - about 20kg..... that stinky thing went back in the drink.

Regards,

Rabs.

post-4948-009480000 1337598111_thumb.jpg

post-4948-026350900 1337598161_thumb.jpg