That time of the year again.

clemsy

Hi raiders,

It is that time of the year again, time to upgrade the reel.

I've narrowed down my search to three reels, for the esturary. I just wanted to know your experience with the reels, if you have owned or used them.

Shimano Stradic Ci4 1000

Shimano Rarenium Ci4 1000

Shimano Sustain 1000 FG

The reason I prefer the Shimano brand is that the service centre is close by and the turnover is great.

I will be after esturary species ranging from bream to the odd (lost/lucky) trevally.

My budget is between 200-300, strictly.

Thanks guys!

Hi raiders,

It is that time of the year again, time to upgrade the reel.

I've narrowed down my search to three reels, for the esturary. I just wanted to know your experience with the reels, if you have owned or used them.

Shimano Stradic Ci4 1000

Shimano Rarenium Ci4 1000

Shimano Sustain 1000 FG

The reason I prefer the Shimano brand is that the service centre is close by and the turnover is great.

I will be after esturary species ranging from bream to the odd (lost/lucky) trevally.

My budget is between 200-300, strictly.

Thanks guys!

the sustain FG is great more bearings and has a 5kg drag amazing reel

Thanks for the reply guys, it seems like there is a lot of votes towards the ci4 reels.

Are the new Sustain reels not worth the extra money?

From my tackle store, the prices are as follows:

Stradic Ci4: $200

Rarenium Ci4: $250

Sustain FG: $300

Thanks for the reply guys, it seems like there is a lot of votes towards the ci4 reels.

Are the new Sustain reels not worth the extra money?

From my tackle store, the prices are as follows:

Stradic Ci4: $200

Rarenium Ci4: $250

Sustain FG: $300

have a look around you might find them cheaper somewhere else

Hey mate, I got a Rarenium Ci4 1000 about 2 months ago and paired it up with a 1-3kg rod.

I went with the Rarenium for a few reasons:

1, Weight or lack of it. I think it weighs 175g and I find after a few hours casting and retrieving lures I have minimal to no fatigue.

2, Retrieve speed, from memory it retrieves 53cm per crank or thereabouts, this was quite a bit less than other reels in its class and something I wanted to slow my retrieves down.

3, Spare spool, seemed like a great idea at the time, yet to use it though.

Since buying the reel, I've used it on average 3 times a week and I can't really fault it's performance. I've caught small bream, flatties to 52cm, whiting and some very solid squid on it. The drag is quite smooth, I like the soft touch handle and line-lay is neat and given me no problems. Also of note, is the ease of start-up inertia or lack of pressure when starting a retrieve. I doubt this makes much difference to anyone but a comp angler (?) but it does feel nice.

All of the above said, I wouldn't buy another if in the same situation. My concern is that it's construction doesn't fill me with confidence. It just feels quite fragile. And when turning the handle the spool has quite a bit of wobble. I got a Stradic 5000 FJ as a gift not long before buying the Rarenium and although it's for completely different purposes they're from the same stable and about the same price. For me the Stradic just feels much better constructed. I know it's not on your shortlist but as point of comparison I thought that may be useful.

In sum, it's a great little reel that I really enjoy using, day-to-day it performs well but I have concerns about it's longevity and durability.

Hope there's some useful feedback in there somewhere and that I haven't confused you further.

Edited by Nibbles

Thank you all for your great responses, they have helped a lot.

I purchased myself a nice Sustain 1000 FG reel today and gave it a quick test out session and I caught myself a 30cm bream and a couple of undersized ones, the drag was great and reel was very smooth!

Just a quick question, does rain cause any damage to reels?

Cheers!

great topic mate

Just arrived in sydney after being out of the country for few years and was trying to workout myself the right reel to go for. Have started flicking plastics with fair success in the hacking but only on the ***** special and starlo stik. Might go for for the stradic 2500. Pretty keen to setup for Jewy fishing also if anybody could recommend rod and reel? Been great to join up and get a bit of a head start in fishing around Sydney through all your comments - Cheers

Thank you all for your great responses, they have helped a lot.

I purchased myself a nice Sustain 1000 FG reel today and gave it a quick test out session and I caught myself a 30cm bream and a couple of undersized ones, the drag was great and reel was very smooth!

Just a quick question, does rain cause any damage to reels?

Cheers!

Good choice. You cant beat a metal bodied reel for that quality feel and construction. The C14 body reels just dont feel as good.