port stephens pirtek challenge

diesel

Hi.First time poster. Headed out of port stephens on the weekend for the pirtek challenge. And what a cracking day it was with the weather really turning it on to support this great cause.

Armed with some local knowledge and gps marks to go, i headed first to bait station behind cabbage tree to collect the all important bait. Then straight to broughton island we went in search of some kings and snapper. Out went the balloon float once we hit the sisters and the boys started to bottom bash. Hooked up to a few squire and some reef fish but nothing worth mentioning.

We were about to change locations when bang, off went the float, yippee we in. After the next 15 minutes or so was a quessing game, was it a kingy or not. We soon found out it was a 6.5kg bonito that was the problem. Great more bait. So we headed off to do a bit of trolling with no luck. Then we started to tackle the other marks we were given. First 2kg snapper, sweet now we have dinner, next mark 70cm kingy, sweet something to go with dinner, then the young fella with us caught a 60cm flatty, awesome entree. It went quiet then for a couple of hours but as we persisted the sea came alive, there were thousands of bait fish hitting the surface in dramtic fashion so up came the rods and out came the lures. We continued to troll for a about an hour but only managed 6 small bonito but what a site to see. We then hit our usual flatty spot without success. All in all was a great day on the water with 11 different species boated and a good feed to take home. the local knowledge is definately where the fish are!! Hopefully many more posts to come, with pictures!!!!!

Edited by diesel

Check this out, the sea is alive! Captured the day of the challenge.

Upon a new post, at the bottom where it says Attachments, select the CHOOSE FILE button.

Search for your picture in your computer, then hit OK. Then hit ATTACH THIS FILE.

Hope that helps.

I was fishing at Port Kembla breakwall on Sunday morning. I was on something big which felt like a kingy too!

It put up an awesome fight, I could barely hold my 12ft rod, and I thought I had my drag locked, but it managed to peel more line off! I got it close, and it was a bonnie, looked about 70cm, last second it reefed me in the rock just 3 metres below me!!! ahhh! Would have been my first bonnie too! It pulled like a freight train going horizontal in every direction.

Upon a new post, at the bottom where it says Attachments, select the CHOOSE FILE button.

Search for your picture in your computer, then hit OK. Then hit ATTACH THIS FILE.

Hope that helps.

I was fishing at Port Kembla breakwall on Sunday morning. I was on something big which felt like a kingy too!

It put up an awesome fight, I could barely hold my 12ft rod, and I thought I had my drag locked, but it managed to peel more line off! I got it close, and it was a bonnie, looked about 70cm, last second it reefed me in the rock just 3 metres below me!!! ahhh! Would have been my first bonnie too! It pulled like a freight train going horizontal in every direction.