Pongrass - what size engine

Condorman

Hello

I was hoping to get some help on some issues with my new toy. I just bought this old runabout and had some queries. I was wanting to repower. Hull and transom appear in okay condition and she does not have a false floor, just straight hull.

I'll mainly be using it on the Hawkesbury/ Pittwater / Broken Bay for a bit of fishing and the odd picnic. Mainly be me and one other but occasionally 4 people heading for a picnic spot.

Questions

1) the hull flexes quite a bit when hitting chop - is this normal for this style of boat? It has no internal ribbing or stringers(?)

2) what size engine (transom is only 15" (40cm)) ?

Thanks.

Matt

Edited by Condorman

Hello

I was hoping to get some help on some issues with my new toy. I just bought this old runabout and had some queries. She currently has an old 9.9hp that won't get her on the plane, so I was wanting to repower. Hull and transom appear in okay condition and she does not have a false floor, just straight hull.

I'll mainly be using it on the Hawkesbury/ Pittwater / Broken Bay for a bit of fishing and the odd picnic. Mainly be me and one other but occasionally 4 people heading for a picnic spot.

Questions

1) the hull flexes quite a bit when hitting chop - is this normal for this style of boat? It has no internal ribbing or stringers(?)

2) what size engine (transom is only 15" (40cm)) ?

Thanks.

Matt

It should have a plate somewhere on the boat which will tell you the maximum HP the boat will take. A new 15hp might be the way to go. It will be alot more powerful than the current 9.9hp on her now... You will need a short shaft. As for the flex,i dont think theres much you can do...

Edited by one armed fisho

What is the boat length?

Check for cracks both internally & externally where the transom is joined to the sides & bottom.

This will indicate the structural soundness of the transom.

A 15hp would be a big inprovement but with a few people & gear on board I would be looking at a short shaft 25hp.

As to the flexibility , this is not uncommon for a boat of that vintage. They tendered not to place a lot of structural strength when maunfactured.

Again , check for cracking along the keel however there is little you can do about it.

I recall back in the 60's , which I suspect is about the age of this boat , a friend had a half cabbin BellBoy. Late afternoon , heading into the sun you could see light penertrating through the thin fibreglass in the bow area with all sorts of wobble occuring in the sides each time it hit a wave.

His father , who had more money than sense , fitted the boat with twin 75 hp Johnsons :1yikes:

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

As to the flexibility , this is not uncommon for a boat of that vintage. They tendered not to place a lot of structural strength when maunfactured.

Again , check for cracking along the keel however there is little you can do about it.

Geoff

Hi fella's - thanks for your replies.

Boat it 12' (3.6m) and beam of 5' (1.6m)

Have check hull and along keel - there appears to be no cracks.

If it doesn't have structural strength - is that a bad thing, or is it just they way they were?

Thnaks again....Matt

I just sold my 13ft Pongrass which had a 40hp engine on it, and let me tell you, it flew!

In saying that I think around 20hp - 30hp will be more than enough, I always felt that my 40hp was an overkill however I couldn't help but enjoy it.

Edited by aeb870

I just sold my 13ft Pongrass which had a 40hp engine on it, and let me tell you, it flew!

In saying that I think around 20hp - 30hp will be more than enough, I always felt that my 40hp was an overkill however I couldn't help but enjoy it.

Did its hull flex too?

I've had a couple of tinnies and and old Glastron and I just haven't seen the hull flex like this - kind of freaky!

What exactly do you mean by hull flexing tho?

The boat has no structural fixtures on the hull. The seats hang down from the top mould, so the hull is straight from the transom until just under the bow there is a bulk head (appears to be some form of flotation). So when you go over wake, you can see and feel the hull moving up and down.

That is definitely strange. I had bench seats that i would imagine provided structural support. Not sure if its worth it but maybe if you can add some bench seats and fibreglass the ends to the hull, this should add some support but will definitely take up all the room.

I am not too sure, have you asked anyone at the boat shops?

Guest Aussie007

u should add a plywood floor it will add structure to the hull and improve its hide i would say stick to a 15-18hp on that hull nothing more i once had a old pongress a little younger than yours mine had a floor and was structurally solid