Alvey advice

JET01

Been getting into fishing off the beach and am about to start fishing off the rocks for Blackfish and other species.

I don't service my own reels so I don't want to use my Ci4 4000 on the sand or rocks.

The obvious choice for this kind of fishing would be an Alvey.

The rods I'm going to be using are a Shimano Catana 3-5kg 10'6 Coastline Light, and a cheapo ***** 12' Jarvis Walker 5-10kg Beach fibreglass beach rod.

I'm thinking 2 setups:

One heavy setup for fishing 20lb mono off the beach and rocks.

One light setup up that can be used both for blackfish off the rocks and bream and flatties off the beach, i've got a spool of 12lb dango wax which i've heard is great for luderick fishing.

What 2 reels would be the best?

Been getting into fishing off the beach and am about to start fishing off the rocks for Blackfish and other species.

I don't service my own reels so I don't want to use my Ci4 4000 on the sand or rocks.

The obvious choice for this kind of fishing would be an Alvey.

The rods I'm going to be using are a Shimano Catana 3-5kg 10'6 Coastline Light, and a cheapo ***** 12' Jarvis Walker 5-10kg Beach fibreglass beach rod.

I'm thinking 2 setups:

One heavy setup for fishing 20lb mono off the beach and rocks.

One light setup up that can be used both for blackfish off the rocks and bream and flatties off the beach, i've got a spool of 12lb dango wax which i've heard is great for luderick fishing.

What 2 reels would be the best?

hi mate

I'd have a look at the 45bc for your lighter rod, it's small enough that you can use it on a spin stick, but for the bigger setup where you want to run 30lb You'd go for a 650bc, but you will need a low-mount rod designed for Alvey reels, the difference being the reel sits closer to the butt of the rod and the first runner is half way up the length of the rod.

Just touching back on the reels now, the models I recommended are drag models, you can go for direct wind alveys which have no drag and are cheaper, but you can also spend more and get the deluxe drag model like the 6500 bcvrrt.

When choosing mono, choose a colour that contrasts to the colour of the reel, eg on my 45bc which only comes in black I use platypus Lo stretch which is pink and on my 650 berr which is yellow but also comes in other colours,I use Jarvis walker mono which is dark green.

Cheers fishingphase

Edited by fishingphase

hi mate

I'd have a look at the 45bc for your lighter rod, it's small enough that you can use it on a spin stick, but for the bigger setup where you want to run 30lb You'd go for a 650bc, but you will need a low-mount rod designed for Alvey reels, the difference being the reel sits closer to the butt of the rod and the first runner is half way up the length of the rod.

Just touching back on the reels now, the models I recommended are drag models, you can go for direct wind alveys which have no drag and are cheaper, but you can also spend more and get the deluxe drag model like the 6500 bcvrrt.

When choosing mono, choose a colour that contrasts to the colour of the reel, eg on my 45bc which only comes in black I use platypus Lo stretch which is pink and on my 650 berr which is yellow but also comes in other colours,I use Jarvis walker mono which is dark green.

Cheers fishingphase

I've already bought 300m of 15lb Kokoda GT-R Ultra (Clear), and a spool of 12lb Dango Wax. Might end up getting 2 smaller reels and then a bigger on for 20lb-30lb Mono. I saw the 45bc for around $50 so buying 2 isn't out of the budget. I'll just keep using the Penn Spinfishing 750ssm I have for now until it dies, then i'll get an alvey to replace it.

You need to use a low stretch mono on Alvey reels...

I read a few posts that reckon it's pretty good on alveys off the beach. it's not that expensive so if it doesn't work i'll get something different.

Of the reels shown in the pictures, the only one I would look at is the 650BE1, which BTW is overkill for the majority of rock fishing but great for groper, big pigs and superb for jewies from the beach. If you are going to buy an alvey, buy one with the handles attached to the spool, especially for the rocks where you want direct wind. The 650 BE1 shown in the picture has a drag that engages when you let go of the handles , ie no drag when retrieveing, drag when fish takes line with a free spool switch. A 650A5 (stainless back) 650B (plastic back) are direct wind, simple reels and great for all round rock and beach.

If you are thinking about chasing blackfish from the rocks and want a good all round light reel then look at the 475B luderick special which is a great all rounder and great as a specific blackfish reel.

It pays to get the right one and with Alveys sometimes the simpler ones are the best option.

Matt

Thanks for your help everyone.

I ended up getting a 45BC to put on my Catana 1062 3-5kg. Spooled it up with 15lb Kokoda GT-R Ultra with 150m of 8lb Dango Wax over the top. I top shotted it because one of my mates in Darwin is going to give me his blackfish alvey. When it gets here i'll move the dango wax across to the black fish alvey.

I also ended up getting an Alvey 5kg 10'6 and a 6000BCVRRT. It's got a drag system, rapid retrieve, fish alert, and turbo cast. Spooled it up with 20lb Kokoda GT-R Ultra.

Can't wait to get out onto the rocks to give it a crack. I just hope I like these reels... i've gone from having none to three in no time. Suppose i'd better get used to it hey!

Thanks for your help everyone.

I ended up getting a 45BC to put on my Catana 1062 3-5kg. Spooled it up with 15lb Kokoda GT-R Ultra with 150m of 8lb Dango Wax over the top. I top shotted it because one of my mates in Darwin is going to give me his blackfish alvey. When it gets here i'll move the dango wax across to the black fish alvey.

I also ended up getting an Alvey 5kg 10'6 and a 6000BCVRRT. It's got a drag system, rapid retrieve, fish alert, and turbo cast. Spooled it up with 20lb Kokoda GT-R Ultra.

Can't wait to get out onto the rocks to give it a crack. I just hope I like these reels... i've gone from having none to three in no time. Suppose i'd better get used to it hey!

my friend, once you master it, which won't take long youll realise alveys have their place in the fishing realm.

Fishingphase

• 1 year later...

I just fished a 24 hour rock and beach comp with both these set ups.

Im now loooking for a replacement rod for the heavier setup. Those low mount rods are not my cup of tea, very awkard to use for long periods, and not to mention heavy. Im going to look for a much light set up. Penn prevail 5-9kg and a stradic fj 5000 is looking the goods at the moment.

I just fished a 24 hour rock and beach comp with both these set ups.

Im now loooking for a replacement rod for the heavier setup. Those low mount rods are not my cup of tea, very awkard to use for long periods, and not to mention heavy. Im going to look for a much light set up. Penn prevail 5-9kg and a stradic fj 5000 is looking the goods at the moment.

We're you using an alvey rod bucket?

These take most of he weight when you're fishing.

Fishingphase

I thought about getting one of those just before comp, but with an alvey shoulder bag and an alvey bait belt and lifejacket,there is just too much hanging off me.

In this day and age where there are options out there with equal strength and greater sensitivity, im finding it hard to come up with a good reason (apart from low maintenance) to keep this old cluncky piece of $&@?.

The best thing is, the mrs just gave me the green light to get a new rod... F&$k she's awesome.

mate...its either you love it or hate it with alvey...i always use a gimbal or a rod holder when using it on the beach/rocks...i love the alvey...if you hate it...put it on d swap n sell...im sure another alvey lover will take it off you...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still have my original 6 inch cedar spool Alvey. A great reel for the surf and rocks. Since then have also acquired a Blackfish special and a smaller estuary reel.

Somehow ended up with a spare cedar spool that does not fit my one. I understand that they are a bit of a collectors item. If someone needs a cedar spool I will take some pics and measure it and if it fits your old Alvey you are welcome to have it.

Cheers

Paikea

Still have my original 6 inch cedar spool Alvey. A great reel for the surf and rocks. Since then have also acquired a Blackfish special and a smaller estuary reel.

Somehow ended up with a spare cedar spool that does not fit my one. I understand that they are a bit of a collectors item. If someone needs a cedar spool I will take some pics and measure it and if it fits your old Alvey you are welcome to have it.

Cheers

Paikea

I would be more than happy to buy the spare spool.

Attached are pics of the spool. It measures 155mm Dia.

I originally got it as part of a box of fishing gear bought at an auction. Don't know the reel model but maybe some of the other contributors to this post can help.

If it suits you let me know and we can arrange to meet somewhere to give it to you.

Cheers

Paikea

• 4 weeks later...

Ron C, I haven't heard from you re the spare Alvey spool that I gave you. Did it fit your reel?

Also, did you manage to find your way home from the Shire after getting lost trying to find me?

Joking mate, just checking to see whether you can actually use the spool, if not maybe you would like to offer it to another Raider.

Cheers

Paikea