help marking locations on google maps

Plumb

Hi all, if this has been covered sorry could someone send me a link???

But I’ve read a few threads on marking gps points on Google maps ect, but i can’t work out how to actually do it. Basically I've worked out the fuel requirements for my boat to get from Grays point or the bay, down to Stanwell Park and back, and want to relate this distance to other marks.

from my old school string measurement it looks like stanwell is about 30 kms from grays Pt??

I know I could do it from my gps in the boat but the Mrs believes if in out the front in the boat I’m having some sort of fun, :ranting2: whereas at work I’ll look like I’m flat out. :thumbup:

Cheers Luke

Luke In the tool bar on top of the Google screen there is a symble that looks like a ruler. Click on that & you can measure between any two points.

As for your comment "30 kms from Grays Point to Stanwell , it's closer to 35k's

From the ramp to Jibbon Bommie is about 10k's then a further 25k's to Stanwell

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Luke In the tool bar on top of the Google screen there is a symble that looks like a ruler. Click on that & you can measure between any two points.

As for your comment "30 kms from Grays Point to Stanwell , it's closer to 35k's

From the ramp to Jibbon Bommie is about 10k's then a further 25k's to Stanwell

Geoff

thanks Geoff I'll check it out, do you know if you can enter a mark to google and actually plot it ?

Thinking I might Just buy another chart and break out the high school geometry kit ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi plumb,

I notice you are using a iPhone. You can download the app. Navionics Australia & new Zealand for $15 & you will get great detail marine maps you can mark potential fishing spots, & also plot courses & distance. I would say this app is a must have for any boat owner that has a iPhone.

Cheers Tommy

Do you know if you can enter a mark to google and actually plot it ?

I'm not familiar with all the features of Google Earth so not able to give you a good answer , however at the bottom of the screen are the GPS coordinates of the curser & as the curser moves so to do the GPS.

As best as I can determin these coordinates are WGS84 datum

Geoff

Hi plumb,

I notice you are using a iPhone. You can download the app. Navionics Australia & new Zealand for $15 & you will get great detail marine maps you can mark potential fishing spots, & also plot courses & distance. I would say this app is a must have for any boat owner that has a iPhone.

Cheers Tommy

cheers tommy I obviously have gps in the boat but want something to play with out of the water. I'll check it out for sure.

Gives me another reason to have my head buried in the iPhone appart from fishraider...

I'm not familiar with all the features of Google Earth so not able to give you a good answer , however at the bottom of the screen are the GPS coordinates of the curser & as the curser moves so to do the GPS.

As best as I can determin these coordinates are WGS84 datum

Geoff

cheers that might do the trick too

Ok so I worked out the Google aspect, I had to:

Click on “map labels” (bottom of Google tool bar)

And enable the distance measurement tool, and the LatLng tool tip and tool marker

Then save changes, now the distance measurement tool is visible, and i can right click and drop a pin on a mark.

Only problem my marks are in the form of

34.02.200S 151.39.500E (ect) but Google’s are single decimal place which increases as I zoom in. I thought that once I get the zoom to a point where the Google mark is in the form of

34.02200, 15139500 that i would be in the same place. But its not as that puts browns only 19 Ks from Jibbon, when it should be about 45k's???

I Also downloaded the Navionice app as well. Looks perfect, and does exactly what im after, it might be better used on an Ipad though beccause the phone screen is a bit small.

In any case i reccon when I plan a eventual trip to browns ill need plan on using twice the fuel than my Stanwell trips, and carry at least the same again in reserve.

Cheers Luke