Airlie Beach! what a place!

brettmann86

G'day raiders.

i've been pretty quiet lately reading alot of posts but not havent really been posting anything, been flat stick getting married and still trying to handle work while i was away and then being on my honeymoon.. i need another holiday to recover!!!

whilst we were away in Airlie we had a ball of a time and had some great fishing to boot (my wife is a keen fisher aswell) we wnt on 5 charters on our 18 days away and i have absolutely no idea how many different species or sub-species of fish we caught i'd have to range it in the high 100's to early 200's if i was to hazard a guess... and i tell you what there is no such thing as fishing with more than 1 rod up that way or else you'd be literally exhausted after an hour!!!

i'm just going to show my 2 favourite captures while we were away and i'll submit both for records.

first fish was a feisty 103cm golden trevally taken on a bait fishing charter over one of the reefs that put up a tremendous fight from a depth of 35ft this guy took me from one end of the boat to the other and had my drag singing! not to mention size wise it was the fish of the day on the boat although my wife did catch a really good sized coral trout on the same trip so i had to admit defeat on that one lol!!!

here is the photo of the fish i believe the line class used was 20lb braid with 40lb leader, and the bait used was a squid head. (i didnt have anything to compare size to other than myself forgot the brag mat.. DOH!!)

post-14110-006009600 1335755071_thumb.jpg

the second fish that i hold near and dear cause one of these has been on my hitlist for a looonnnggg time! is a 99cm threadfin salmon(so sloce to the magic metre it was not even funny!!!!) taken on a live mullet fished in the mouth of a small feeder creek not far from the main harbour of airlie beach! the charter bloke was nearly as excited as i was! and he put on one hell of an aerial dispaly as well! the weirdest thing was the take on the bait it was so subtle i thought it was just the livie repositioning himself until the charter operator yells strike and whack im on!! whatching that line rooster tail across the water was magic and i was over the moon when he was finally in the boat it was a very big tick off of my to do list!

post-14110-024411100 1335755357_thumb.jpg

there are so many more photo's to post and so many more fish to show but these two really stand out to me and will stick in my head for a long time

and as i said before i'd like to submit both for bait fishing records.

thanks for the read raiders and i hope you enjoyed!.

Tight Lines Brett

Edited it to remove the request for COTM forgot about the required item lol

Edited by brettmann

G'day raiders.

i've been pretty quiet lately reading alot of posts but not havent really been posting anything, been flat stick getting married and still trying to handle work while i was away and then being on my honeymoon.. i need another holiday to recover!!!

whilst we were away in Airlie we had a ball of a time and had some great fishing to boot (my wife is a keen fisher aswell) we wnt on 5 charters on our 18 days away and i have absolutely no idea how many different species or sub-species of fish we caught i'd have to range it in the high 100's to early 200's if i was to hazard a guess... and i tell you what there is no such thing as fishing with more than 1 rod up that way or else you'd be literally exhausted after an hour!!!

i'm just going to show my 2 favourite captures while we were away and i'll submit both for records.

first fish was a feisty 103cm golden trevally taken on a bait fishing charter over one of the reefs that put up a tremendous fight from a depth of 35ft this guy took me from one end of the boat to the other and had my drag singing! not to mention size wise it was the fish of the day on the boat although my wife did catch a really good sized coral trout on the same trip so i had to admit defeat on that one lol!!!

here is the photo of the fish i believe the line class used was 20lb braid with 40lb leader, and the bait used was a squid head. (i didnt have anything to compare size to other than myself forgot the brag mat.. DOH!!)

post-14110-006009600 1335755071_thumb.jpg

the second fish that i hold near and dear cause one of these has been on my hitlist for a looonnnggg time! is a 99cm threadfin salmon(so sloce to the magic metre it was not even funny!!!!) taken on a live mullet fished in the mouth of a small feeder creek not far from the main harbour of airlie beach! the charter bloke was nearly as excited as i was! and he put on one hell of an aerial dispaly as well! the weirdest thing was the take on the bait it was so subtle i thought it was just the livie repositioning himself until the charter operator yells strike and whack im on!! whatching that line rooster tail across the water was magic and i was over the moon when he was finally in the boat it was a very big tick off of my to do list!

post-14110-024411100 1335755357_thumb.jpg

there are so many more photo's to post and so many more fish to show but these two really stand out to me and will stick in my head for a long time

and as i said before i'd like to submit both for bait fishing records.

thanks for the read raiders and i hope you enjoyed!.

Tight Lines Brett

Edited it to remove the request for COTM forgot about the required item lol

Well done mate.

Thought I would add my tussle with a 13kg thredy many years back in the noosa river.

Enjoy http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/Page15.htm

Cobba